Chapter Two*

High school.

        Every person above the age of thirty says it's a rite of passage. I call bullshit. What person has to go through four years of hell, three years if you're lucky, and deal with the daily dosage of drama? Lucky for me, I'm a senior. I've been struggling for three years in my high school career, wishing that I could escape from the place they say that people learn. Learn what, exactly?

        The rain was pouring at this point, making it difficult to see three feet in front of my eyes, but I could tell I was at my high school because of racing cars through the parking lot, squealing brakes, and yelling of the guys that think they are cool. Which they're not. I roll my eyes. I didn't bother rushing into the school, considering I'm literally drenched. What's a little more rain going to do?

        I feel the water dripping off my jacket. I wipe my sneakers onto the rug, that's already soaked from other shoes tracking through. Today's going to be a great day, I think sarcastically. I sigh, heading down the hallway filled with complaining girls that wear make-up about how their mascara is smearing. I'm not the type of girl to wear that much make-up. So I don't have to deal with that problem!

        "Raine!" I hear my name echo down the hallway. I quickly turn, seeing my friend, Holland, race down the hall. Her strawberry blonde hair clung to the side of her structured face. An excited expression filled her bright blue eyes. "Raine! I have to tell you some amazing news!"

        "I think you can tell those amazing news in an indoor tone," I respond, laughing a bit at my attitude.

        "Right. So, you know Dean? Well, of course you know Dean, he's in our class. Anyway, he asked me out last night!" she states. I was shocked. I stood there, gripping the situation with an odd expression on my face. Or, at least, that's the way I imagine my face, considering the look from Holland was questionable.

       "You're kidding, right?"

        "Why would I be kidding about something HUGE like this?" Holland turns the question around, exaggerating with hand gestures.

        "I can think of a few reasons," I sigh.

        "No, Raine, I'm not joking. I'm not kidding. I'm not tripping you," Holland says, emphasizing the use of the term "tripping you". I simply shake my head, not going to make a comment on her word usage. "Aren't you happy for me?"

        "Of course I'm happy. Holland isn't single and lonely anymore. But you do know the track record for a guy like Dean, right?" I ask, looking at her closely. She stares at a focal point behind me. I hope she's listening.

        "I know," she reluctantly sighs.

        "How long have you two been talking for?" I then ask, curious as to how much Holland actually trusted Dean.

        "Um," she deliberates. "Maybe about a week."

        "You must obviously like him a lot, then," I state, readjusting my backpack upon my shoulders.

        "Yeah."

        "Look, I'm not trying to be that friend that wants both of us to be lonely and single forever together. No. If you want to take a risk, go for it. I'll support you no matter what," I respond, coming to the realization that I might be in a situation that I look like a selfish friend. That's definitely not who I am.

        "Thanks, Rainy," Holland says, giving me a nickname that I hated but dealt with because I had to. In a moment's notice, the bell rings, signaling for the day to officially begin. I groan lightly as I head to class.