part 7

"so, do you wanna come round to my house?" I asked her. I had never done this before, I didn't even know if I'm doing it right. I mean, how do you ask someone to come round to your house without sounding all creepy and stalker-like?
What if she thinks I'm a weirdo.
Oh God why am I worrying, it's just a simple thing? It's what friends do.
Oh, God.
"Yeah sure. When and what time and are you alright? You look pale."
It's fine. It's all fine. Relax.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Umm, tomorrow after school, is that alright with you?"
"Yeah. That's cool. It'll be a nice chance to talk to one another."
"About what?"
"Oh, stuff. Stuff you probably should know before we, you know progress this relationship"
Relationship? Is this what this was? Are we lovers?
Am I ok with this?
What does she mean?
"You know, our friendship relationship." She said quickly after a few seconds. Yet I couldn't help but hear the sadness in her voice. But I might be imagining that.
Did she want something more?
Is that what she meant on Friday, about being more than friends?
"So, um see you tomorrow," I said after a small pause.
"Yeah, see ya"
I waved and was about to walk home. But she stopped me and wrapped her arms around me in a warm embrace.
"Thank you for being here for me. Thank you for caring about me. You have no idea how much it means to me"
Means to her. I've always thought that I was the one who needed friendship. I've noticed these past few days that I've been happier, I've smiled more. Even my brother who came home late last night noticed my smile on the morning, even through the hangover.
But maybe, she needed a friend as much as me.
"You too, thank you for being my friend, for sticking with me even after I tried to drive you away"
"It's alright, I won't ever leave you"
We smiled and left.
And the feel of her arms around me stayed with me for the rest of the day, the slight warmth, the strong, protective yet gentle touch.
I found myself studying the way she smiled, how it lit up her tan face revealing slight dimples.
The way her brown eyes were set alight every time she saw me.
Maybe, maybe this friendship was good for both of us. Maybe we were both broken, and in need of a friend to fix us.
Maybe, just maybe we could stay friends.