Samantha Gray - Light Wing

Trigger Warning: Anxiety. 

Jumping out of my bed, I excitedly run over to my dresser, wanting to get ready as quickly as I could. Today was the first day of my internship with the school nurse, which I've been looking forward to for over a month! I'm already pretty confident in my abilities, but by working at the high school, I'll get experience, which is vital to becoming a doctor. Even so, I can't help but worry about how the students will perceive me. I doubt they'll react kindly to someone their age treating them, which I've been incessantly worrying about all week. Catching myself before I start going through all of the worst case scenarios, I try to distract myself by choosing my outfit for the day, but I should've known that would cause even more panic. 

Trying to decide between three different shirts (all practically the same), I finally settle on a pink short sleeved top paired with a yellow skirt. Pulling back my light brown hair, I consider whether or not I should wear make-up. If I do wear it, then I could come off as trying too hard. But if I don't wear any, people might think that I'm not trying enough. No matter what I do, people will find a way to criticize it, so I'll try to find some middle ground. Applying a bit of eyeliner and naturally colored lipstick, I decide that this will have to work. 

Heading down to breakfast, I see my twin brother, Samuel, already eating. 

"Let me guess, you forgot your shoes out of excitement." Looking down, I realize he's right. Sprinting back to my room, I can practically hear his smirk. Making a last-second decision, I switch out of the skirt and into some black leggings. Pulling on my sandals while heading back to the dining room, I stuff an entire omelet into my mouth and start running out the door. 

"Samantha, you still have ten minutes before you need to leave!"

"I'd rather be early than risk the chance of arriving late!" Looking behind me to respond to Sam, I don't see the crack in the sidewalk, and trip. Realizing that sandals might not be the best choice of shoes, I run back inside and pull on some sneakers. Before I can run out the door once again, I quickly take my anxiety medication (forgetting to earlier in my rush) and sprint to the school with all the might my short legs are capable of. 

Arriving right on time, I greet the nurse and listen to their directions. It sounds like all I'll be doing is handing out ice-packs and other small tasks like that, but it's better than nothing. 

A few students come and go, most only needing some water or their temperature taken, and I'm starting to get bored. Being brought out of my thoughts by a knock on the door, I open it to a kid my age with light brown, almost orange, hair with green eyes and freckles. Their appearance was similar to mine, but with lighter hair and darker eyes. 

"Uhm, hi...?" Instead of a greeting, their tone made it seem more like a question. They seemed even more awkward than me, so I put on the brightest smile that I could. 

"Hello! My name is Samantha, and I'm the nurse's assistant for the day," I said in a cheerful voice. Feeling slightly bad about it, I eagerly await them telling me their name so I could figure out what gender they are. Maybe they're non-binary or gender fluid? 

"I'm Alex. Do you have anything for a bruised side?" My questions about their gender identity all but disappeared when they asked that. 

"Yeah, definitely! Wow, you're the first person to actually take me seriously. Typically people will ask for the official nurse, since they think I won't be able to handle it. Like, just around fifteen minutes ago, I had someone who didn't even think I could take their temperature without messing up! I mean, even a kid can do that properly. It was so insulting, and I was infuriated afterwards, but couldn't retort, since they're the patient and everything. I swear, sometimes this job isn't worth all of the annoying remarks patients will make. I can't wait until I'm older, then maybe people will actually believe I'm capable of doing my job. At least the kids in gym class are desperate enough for treatment that they don't care about my age." Dang it! I seriously need to stop talking so much. They probably think I'm an idiot who's constantly babbling! Hopefully I can still save this conversation, though I doubt it. 

"Most of the people in gym are just faking their injury to get out of class, so that's probably the reason." Slightly deflating at their words, I start spiraling into worry. They've got to think I'm dumb, not being able to realize that. Instead of letting that disappointment show, I put the ice pack on their side, and feeling slightly better in the close proximity, manage to work up the cheerfulness to flash them a bright smile. 

"There, all done! You're free to go, Alex." They nod at my words, and I once again feel disappointment, wishing that I had the chance to talk to them more and try to redeem myself. 

For the rest of the day, I couldn't stop worrying and obsessing over that encounter.