Fair Lady

The Lower-town was in a buzz when news of a Lady coming to Camelot reached them. Of course, it was all 'he said she said', but word of mouth was usually not far from the truth when it came to the nosey servants and tradesmen. The Queen seemed all but giddy after a council meeting. The librarian was seen smiling broadly after hearing something from the court physician. Some Bakers were said to have overheard older knights questioning King Arthur's sanity. Maids in the kitchen were told to prepare their finest food for a special guest. But some knights got their servants working double-time to sharpen their swords.

There was a mixed feeling settling around Camelot. Half looking for the good in change, others were more apprehensive about seeking out what they had feared for so long. Though most of the residence outside of the castle didn't really know what was going on.

The Lady was rumoured to be kind and thoughtful, quiet yet determined. She was said to be a beauty, with long dark hair and soft fair skin. She was petite yet strong.

"Well," Arthur began, "What do you think?" Arthur and Gwen where sitting on the bed, cross-legged and facing each other. He was still apprehensive about the idea of speaking with this Lady. He agreed to talk with the druids' ambassador only because he knew it must be done.

Gwen smiled lovingly at her husband. "I know this will be hard for you, just as it will everyone. But we need to remember why we're doing this. Peace, Arthur. Camelot has been through so much it the last few years. Your people need stability, and that comes with alliances."

"But what would my father say?"

Gwen gave him an impatient look. "What would your father say about us?" Arthur sighed and looked away, only for Gwen to gently move his face to look her in the eye again. "Though I respect your father, you must remember that he is gone. He had his reasons for being the way he was but you can't blindly follow his lead."

Arthur had a look that could only be described as admiration cross his face. How had he been handed this wonderful woman? "You truly are a wise Queen"

~*~

It wasn't just the villagers that awaited the Lady's arrival, the knights seemed to be enjoying the idea as well. Gwaine in particular, "She'll be pretty right?"

Leon thought he was unbelievable, "What does it matter? She's here to see if Camelot and the Druids can come to an agreement."

"I know that." Turning around he spoke quietly to Elyan, "she's got to be pretty though."

Elyan simply rolled eyes and gestured behind Gwaine to where Arthur was walking over.

"What are you ladies gossiping about?" Picking up his sword Arthur started to head over to the practice dummies. The knights followed, slowly breaking off their conversions.

"About what a wonderful king you are." Gwaine had to turn to hide his face.

The king was dumbfounded, "really?"

"'Course not, we're talking about the Lady, princess."

"Ahh... right."

"You think she's single?"

Now it was Arthur's turn to roll his eyes. "Maybe. You're starting to sound desperate though."

Gwaine gave him a look whilst picking up his own sword. After a while he spied a manservant. "Hey Merlin!"

"What?" He sounded tired. With heavy foot steps he made his way over to the training field.