NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN
NIGHT CHANGES

Duncan's eyebrow raised in question as the blonde girl walked into the living room of his penthouse

Duncan's eyebrow raised in question as the blonde girl walked into the living room of his penthouse. While she would normally dress more angelic, she had chosen to wear all dark colors that evening. A white long sleeve shirt was layered with a black tank top, a dark plaid skirt falling dangerously short, stockings, boots, and various silver necklaces made up her outfit that night.

"What are you wearing?" He asked her, his blue eyes taking in her full appearance.

The girl rolled her eyes, never having been a girl who liked to be questioned. "It doesn't matter, D. I like it so I'm going to wear it."

He chuckled, adoring her reaction to his question. She was strong headed and it was something he adored about her. She didn't feel as if she has to explain her actions to anyone and Duncan agreed.

"I didn't say I didn't like it, princess." The man replied, his eyes returning to the email he was typing.

Cindy got butterflies in her stomach from the thought of Duncan respecting her choice of what to wear. He had never been the kind of man to try and control her except when it came to hanging out with other boys.

"I'm going to a party with a few of my friends and wanted to try out a different style." She explained, grabbing her Jeep keys that were attached to her Off-White keychain. The yellow material contrasted with her dark outfit.

The man nodded, walking over to where she stood next to the kitchen counter. "Be safe, pretty girl." He told her, pressing a kiss against her forehead and squeezing her hip.

"That's all I get?" Cindy pouted and it was only then she had realized what she had said. After holding back their feelings for so long, she was getting used to letting them all out. Duncan himself almost seem surprised.

Smirking slightly, he leaned down, and pressed a kiss to the side of her mouth, trying not to ruin her makeup or get lipstick on himself. "Be a good girl tonight and you can get more when you get home." With that, the man left her standing there and left the apartment himself.

•••

"How is my daughter?" Misty asked, her long, bony fingers wrapped around the wine glass. Bringing the red liquid to her lips, she enjoyed the sweet taste of grape as it washed over her tongue.

"Cindy is as well as a teenager can be after her own mother practically disowns her." Duncan replied sharply.

The pair had been sitting in the overly expensive restaurant for the past hour and it was the first time the woman had even mentioned her daughter. This made the man's blood boil.

"How dare you!" The woman's voice raised, causing many sets of eyes to stare at them. Realizing she had earned the unwanted attention of others, she lowered her voice, "I only wanted to send her back to New York with her father. She's the one that ran away."