ONE

CHAPTER ONE
THE WEDDING

CINDY didn't know what to expect when she woke up Sunday morning

CINDY didn't know what to expect when she woke up Sunday morning. What should have been a normal day in early April was actually quite the opposite. While it wasn't her day, it was the day that would determine her future... in a way.

Her mother was tying the knot with the infamous Duncan Shepherd. The day her mother sat down Cindy and her sister to inform them about the engagement, the young girl was shook. Ever since she had become a teenager and aware of the world around her, she had watched programs on television covering her mothers fiancé and had read plenty of tabloids with his face on it. At one point in her fifteen year old crush phase, she had gone as far as to search for Duncan Shepherd on Instagram, hoping she could entice him into becoming her sugar daddy, not that she even needed one. The girl had read too much fanfiction growing up.

Melanie, her older sister, was just as confused as Cindy was. While Melanie was three years older and attending Georgetown University, she still lived at home because not only was it within a reasonable distance from her school but she also had plans to obtain an internship in the political scene.

Melanie and Cindy has never been the closest of sisters. If they didn't look vaguely related, the two could have been taken for mortal enemies instead of siblings. Cindy could never figure out why her old sister despised her but Cindy knew her exact reason for hating her sister's guts. Not only did Melanie dislike Cindy but she was also mother's favorite. No matter what Cindy did, she could never earn the satisfaction of her mother. Her mom always told her to be more like her sister even when she outperformed Melanie.

On top of having an older sibling that hated her, Cindy practically didn't have a mother. Misty Blaine was one of California's two senators. Instead of living in California and only traveling to D.C. when the Senate was in session, Misty moved to the capital full time with her two girls after her divorce. Cindy never actually understood how it was legal to be the senator of a state and not reside there. Her mother was a workaholic and completely dedicated to the Republican Party. When Melanie was too young to watch her sister alone, the girls had a sitter most nights of the week. When Melanie became of age, sixteen to be exact, the sitter was no longer needed as the eldest daughter could drive. After Melanie graduated, it felt like it was just Cindy. Looking back on it, Cindy felt like she had raised herself.

Despite everything, the seventeen year old wouldn't say she had a bad life if ever asked. She thought herself very fortunate that her mother was so important to the Republican Party that her paycheck allowed the Blaine family to live in a large home, drive expensive cars, and wear designer clothes. In addition, her father supplied her credit card money. It was his way for making up for not being around. Even though she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and sat in the lap of luxury, Cindy wouldn't consider herself a spoiled brat. She worked hard for her good grades and was extremely well mannered when she wanted to be. The girl knew how to handle being told no and knew that being grateful and humble was important.