SIX

CHAPTER SIX
PEACE

The warm summer breeze blew against her exposed skin, the slight scent of lilacs being carried with it

The warm summer breeze blew against her exposed skin, the slight scent of lilacs being carried with it. Cindy stood under a large, white canopy tent along with the other people party goers. The only difference between her and them was the fact that she was at least twenty years younger than all of them and they actually seemed to be enjoying themselves.

A waiter approached the seventeen year old, a small smile on his face, "You seem to be having the time of your life," he joked lightly, trying to bring a smile to Cindy's deadpanned face.

She looked at him, her eyes quickly taking notice of the dainty glasses full of champagne that sat on the metal platter he carried. Quickly wrapping her ring clad fingers around the nearest one, she made sure no adults were watching her, and then downed the alcohol in one gulp. "Now I'm having the time of my life."

Setting the now empty glass back on the tray, she returned his smile with a sheepish one of her own. "Sorry if I get you fired."

The man shrugged, seeming to care less about the idea of it. "I really don't care about this job. I just do it to bring in extra money, you know?" He explained. Cindy studied him, taking notice of the dimples that indented his cheeks as he kept the same sideways smile he had when he had first approached her.

"I'm Cindy," she introduced herself, deciding that this random boy was far better company then any of the stuck up high rollers that milled around the two young people. Sticking her hand out, she awaited a handshake and introduction in return.

Balancing the platter against his hip, he used his free hand to shake Cindy's, "Aaron. It's lovey to meet you, Cindy." Holding the platter with both hands again, he looked at the female apologetically, "Sorry Cindy but I have to run. Apparently there's something wrong with the infamous Duncan Shepherd's food and I'm being called in to fix it."

The blonde keeled over laughing, her sides beginning to hurt at the idea of her step father being so pretentious to the point that he was complaining about his food. "I know the guy. I'll go with you." She told Aaron, tears from laughing so hard beginning to prick the corners of her eyes.

Exiting the canopy tent, the pair made their way to a carbon copy of it. The second one was set up in the exact same way as the first, down to the table and chair placement. Catching sight of Duncan, the girl tapped her companion's shoulder and pointed out her step father. "There's your mission."

Sighing, the curly haired boy set down the tray of glasses and made his way over to Shepherd, Cindy close behind him. Coming upon Duncan, the teenager heard the last bit of his dialogue with the woman who sat next to him, "You look lovely, darling."

Deciding not to say anything, the girl kept her mouth shut as Aaron began to address the situation at hand, "Good evening, Mr. Shepherd. My name is Aaron and I was informed that there was a problem with your food. I'm extremely sorry for the inconvenience and was wondering what I could do to help?"