They're busy and their work is important, but they still value the time that they share.

Tanjirou waits for her to finish her shower after she's done with long operations, and they share the same futon when they sleep.

Akiko waits patiently by the entrance gate, a first aid kit, snacks and tea ready for the two of them inside for when Tanjirou returns home.

And while they spend their time together, either Miyuki or Zenitsu spends time with Nezuko. Either that, or they both do.

Akiko is wearing his haori and eating some dorayaki Tanjirou brought home, the two lazily cloud watching in silence.

She's talking about the mist pillar now, and how he would cloud watch for hours in the middle of a mission.

"I don't even think I was there to make sure he didn't die by the hands of an Upper Moon... I was probably just there to make sure he didn't trip over roots and skewer himself with his katana," Akiko sighs, and Tanjirou bursts out into laughter.

She wraps herself up within the sight of his smile, the smell of his haori and the sound of his laugh.

Sometimes, Akiko doesn't talk to Tanjirou for days. She doesn't receive any letters, but it doesn't bother her too much anymore.

And even when he is at the Butterfly Estate, Akiko might be shut in the OR for half a day saving someone's life.

So she'll find random things in her room at times. Tanjirou's gifted her some flowers he found on his way back, and he's gifted her an omamori from one of the local temples despite the fact that she isn't one to believe in gods and spirits.

She probably should, though, considering the fact that demons run amok.

One day, Tanjirou returns with a book in hand.

He was walking through town when a small bookstore caught his eye, and he remembered the promise he made Hanako the day she was killed. So he bought a book, intending to read it to Akiko in Hanako's stead.

"Akiko! Are you free later tonight?" Tanjirou smiles at her, and Akiko sees the book in his hand. She's quick to understand his intentions, and she flushes at the idea before shooting him down.

"I- uhm, I have to monitor a patient tonight, actually... They might run into some complications tonight, so I have to make sure they're not dead by tomorrow morning..."

Tanjirou slumps at the idea, but he understands that her work is important and he leaves it be. Perhaps he can read to Nezuko instead. Zenitsu might volunteer to read to his sister though.

Akiko is drinking tea by the patient late at night when Aoi walks in, surprised to see Akiko by the patient's bedside.

"Isn't Tanjirou back? Why aren't you with him?" She wonders aloud, setting down some medicine for another patient. Akiko remains calm as always, her back straight as she observes the breathing pattern and heart rate of the patient.

Aoi quickly takes notice of what Akiko is doing and she rolls her eyes, standing next to Akiko's seated form.

"I'll take over for tonight, so just go to him!"

With widened eyes, Akiko starts to sputter protests, but Aoi is quick to retort, "If you're worried about the patient I'll ask Kanao to help too! Her eyes are better than mine anyhow..."

"Oh? So now you just want to spend time with Kanao, huh?"

Now it's Aoi turn to sputter her protests, and Akiko chuckles warmly before giving her seat up for Aoi. She goes to call for Kanao, who nods with a smile before leaving her room to spend some time with Aoi.