But when Akiko turns to leave, Tanjirou stirs.

"Akiko?" He rubs his eyes, much more alert now. She pulls a chair by his bedside, placing the tray in her lap before apologizing.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

He laughs lightly, "No, I thought I caught you scent and I guess I was right! I'm glad it wasn't a dream!"

His comment causes her to push the tray of food onto his lap before she quickly runs out of the room.

The next day, Akiko spends most of her time with Zenitsu.

"You and Tanjirou really piss me off, y'know?"

"I'm leaving."

"You didn't let me finish!" He yanks her arm and she groans, taking a seat back by his bedside.

"Do I have to?"

"Yes!! Because I wake up all the time around you guys to either the loudest screeching ever or loud beating drums!!"

Akiko throws her arms up into the air, "Well what am I supposed to do?"

"FIGURE IT OUT!!"

"WE'RE TRYING!!!"

Inosuke walks into the room, sees the two tearing each other's hair out, then slowly sinks back into the hallway.

They continue to bicker back and forth until Zenitsu slaps a hand over Akiko's mouth. When she's about to throw a cup at his head, he points at Nezuko's box and Akiko can finally hear the slight scratching.

He shrieks when she licks his hand, and this time Akiko glares at him to shut up.

"Stop yelling. You woke up the princess, golden boy."

"GOLDEN BOY?!"

Time continues to pass and Akiko finds herself spending more and more time with Tanjirou. He's grateful whenever she brings in a tray of rice balls for the two to eat, since that's all that she knows how to make. They come out better and better each time, which brightens Akiko's spirits.

Tanjirou learns more about Aoi and Kanon as well as the other three girls. Akiko doesn't know a great deal of information concerning Shinobu or Kanao, but she offers what little information she has and Tanjirou is thankful.

Overall, Akiko spends most of her days in the OR. Her hands continue to wade through organs and her stitches remain as precise and clean as always.

One day, Tanjirou spends a whole day shadowing her.

"Why is he standing in the cor- Aoi, a stronger does of the anesthesia. Sumi, pliers? Thank you. Why is he standing in the corner?" Akiko's eyes narrow at the large gash, bits and pieces of glass she has to carefully pull out. Kiyo stands nearby with a metal dishpan.

Aoi does as she's told and the demon slayer relaxes. Akiko works efficiently, carefully pulling out bits and pieces. There's a small clinking noise and drops of blood on the pan every time she pulls a piece out, and her eyes narrow when she finds more glass shards.

"I thought it would be good for Tanjirou to watch what you do," Aoi says and Akiko gives her an annoyed glare.

"S-Sorry, should I leave?" Tanjirou asks and the three girls begin to protest. Akiko chooses to get back to work as Tanjirou continues to worry, Aoi assuring him that he's fine where he is.

Another boring hour passes and Akiko still continues to pull glass shards out, though these pieces are much more deeply embedded. And in some risky places too.