Covering All Routes

As soon as Slim and Pete saw that Frank and Joe had gotten into the house, Jack took the copter for a couple more spins around the place before heading out to sea.

"I hope that gave Frank and Joe enough time to find Mr. Hardy and a place to hide," Slim shouted into the headset.

"I hope so too," shouted Jack back, "but we won't know for sure until we've received word from Laura." By then, they were passing over the Coast Guard station. They saw Biff, Tony, Phil, and the Coast Guard leave the station and get into a couple of boats. Chief Robinson flashed their searchlight at them, and their friends waved. Slim and Pete waved back, but wasn't sure if their friends saw them as the boats took off towards the cliffs. Jack landed the plane soon afterwards. He turned in his chair. "Alright, text Chet."

Slim pulled out his phone. "On it."

Chet's phone chimed. He pulled it out and looked at the text. "Slim says Frank and Joe got in and that they're ready to take back off if we need them." Collig and Laura nodded at him. The three were sitting in Collig's police car, Laura in the front with Collig while Chet was in the back. His phone pinged again. "That's Tony, they've left the Coast Guard station and are on their way towards the cliffs."

Laura let out a soft huff as she turned back around in her seat and faced the house, or what little they could see of it. "And now we wait."

Chet let out a breath. "I hope they find Mr. Hardy and a hiding place quickly."

Collig picked up the radio and pushed the button. "Crouching Tiger to Eagle Eyes, report."

Stephan's voice came over the radio. "The bad guys are rushing around, getting things ready to go, I suppose. Mr. Wayne's flying really scared them." He chuckled.

"Can you see Frank and Joe?"

"Not since they went into the house. None of the bad guys have gone in, that I can see, so they have some time to find Mr. Hardy."

"That's some good news. Thanks Stephan."

"Eagle Eyes, over and out."

"Over and out," said Collig before placing the radio down. He glanced at Laura and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You and Fenton have raised those boys well, and they'll have Fenton with them. I'm sure they'll figure out something."

Laura smiled with appreciation at Collig. "Thanks Ezra."

"They'd better," said Chet, leaning forward with anxiety, "it looks like those guys are heading in."

"Text Slim and tell Jack to be ready to go at a moment's notice," said Laura as her hands curled into fists.

"Yes ma'am." Chet quickly typed out the text and sent it. Slim quickly sent back a text saying that they were ready, just send them the word.

Laura nodded after Chet read the text. "Good, thank you."

"Um, Mrs. Hardy?"

"Yes Chet?"

"Um, I don't want to keep thinking about bad things, but, what if, what if they take all three as hostages?"

Collig glanced at Laura as she bit her lip. "I, I don't know," she whispered.

"I think," said Collig slowly, "I think we would be at a disadvantage there."

"Yeah," said Chet softly. "Sorry to upset you, Mrs. Hardy."

Laura smiled softly at him. "It's alright, Chet. A mark of being a great detective is being able to look at something from all angles. And if you can't, having someone who can give you a different perspective can be the greatest ally a detective can have."