A Little Scare

Joe and Biff finished looking around the first floor and walked back to the library. They saw that Frank and Phil went into the cellar and decided to help Jack and Jerry on the second floor. The four boys looked through every room, but found no one.

"Let's check the attic, make sure no one could be hiding up there," said Joe.

"OK, but, where is it?" asked Jack.

Jerry threw up his hands. "Ugh, looks like we have to go through all the rooms again."

"Then let's make it quick," said Joe before taking off into one room. The other three dashed into other rooms.

It was a minute later that Biff hollored. "I found it!" Joe, Jack, and Jerry dashed into the room as Biff was pulling down the stairs. "You first," Biff told Joe.

Joe shot him a grin. "Well, thanks." He bounded up into the attic, followed closely by Jack, Jerry, and Biff.

Jack gasped when Joe flashed a flashlight around. "Look, footprints!" Footprints could be seen easily amidst the dust.

"Someone has been up here!" said Jerry.

"Spread out!" said Joe. "But be careful, he could still be here."

"Yeah, and he knows we're up here," said Biff as he went off towards one side of the attic. The four searched it thoroughly, but quickly found that there was no one up there, even with all the empty boxes.

"So, he's not up here," said Jerry as they rendezvoused at the top of the attic stairs.

"No, but he was," said Joe thoughtfully. "Just, where is he now?" He thought for a moment. "Well, come on, let's get downstairs and see if Frank and Phil found anything." The others nodded and followed him down into the room. "Uh, Jerry? Did you have to close the door?" said Joe.

Jerry scoffed. "I didn't close it." But when he glanced at Joe, he saw that Joe's face was grim as he approached the door.

"Uh, Joe?" asked Jack worriedly.

Joe tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. He glanced at his friends and spoke through gritted teeth. "He did know we were up there. He came and locked us in!"

"Let me go at it," said Biff, flexing his muscular arms. Joe moved out of the way as Biff walked to the far edge of the room. He took a running leap and rammed into the door. The door shuddered and there was a little cracking noise.

"Let's work on this together," said Joe. "Jack, Jerry, check the windows and see if you can get Tony and Chet's attention. Frank and Phil might be in trouble!"

"Right!" chorused the two and rushed towards the windows as Joe and Biff rammed into the door. Joe could feel the door was starting to give way.

"Ugh, we're at the back end of the house!" blurted Jerry.

"We can't see the van!"

"Two more rams should get us out though," said Biff as he and Joe primed for another ram. They rammed the door again, and the door cracked more.

"Want us to have a go at it?" asked Jerry.

"No, we got this," said Joe right before he and Biff rammed the door again. The door fell away from its hinges and the two boys stumbled into the hall.

"Yay!" cheered Jerry and Jack as they rushed out of the room after Joe and Biff.

"Great job, you two!" said Jack.

"Are you going to be alright?" said Jerry.

"I'm a little sore, but I'll be fine," said Joe as he rubbed his arm.