41.

When she saw the two kissing, her heart broke. She knew that her and Barry weren't together so she shouldn't be as upset as she was, but she thought that they had something.

Quiver

Chapter 41; "Because I Really Like You, Okay?"

Charlotte had dropped Barry off in the Cortex of S.T.A.R. Labs where Caitlin was making the serum to stop the shape shifter. She excused herself because she had to use the restroom. Barry was awkwardly walking around the Cortex, ringing his hands together. He looked around at the room with a mix of confusion and interest; Caitlin was too busy to notice him.

 When she had finished - she was almost done when Barry and Charlotte arrived - she turned around and grinned at Barry. She had the bottle in her hand when she walked over to him.

"Good to go," she announced. "Just need to give it a little spin." Barry forced a smile as he looked at her, not realizing that she needed the centrifuge that he was standing in front of. She glanced down at the machine, and he finally understood what she meant.

Sort of.

"Right, yes. A 'spin'." He stuck his arm out and gestured to the centrifuge. Caitlin stuck the tube on the machine before turning it on. "So this, uh... serum that you're making, is it a temporary fix, or will it take away his power permanently?"

"Not permanently," she shook her head. "Just long enough so we can stop him."

"And how long is it going to take?" he asked, moving closer to her. Caitlin didn't realize as she grabbed the tube.

"Not long. We just need -" Caitlin turned around and was shocked at how close Barry was to her. He wasn't that close when she was first by the machine. She was confused because she thought that him and Charlotte were a couple - or almost a couple. "What are you doing?" she nervously chuckled, walking away from him.

Barry stood in his spot for a few seconds before a small smile worked its way onto his face. He turned around and started walking towards Caitlin.

"Something I think I should have done," he grabbed Caitlin and turned her so they were facing each other, "a long time ago." Barry leaned in for a kiss which confused Caitlin. Their lips touched, but Caitlin didn't pull away - at first. Once she realized what she was doing, she stopped. 

"Barry -" The meta cut her off with another kiss; this time it was a lot deeper of a kiss. Just their luck, Charlotte walked into the Cortex. When she saw the two kissing, her heart broke. She knew that her and Barry weren't together so she shouldn't be as upset as she was, but she thought that they had something. Charlotte was angry for never telling Barry how she really felt before he moved on.

Her keys dropped onto the floor at the same time that a tear slid down her cheek. Caitlin pulled away from Barry rather abruptly and saw Charlotte with tears in her eyes by the door. The former quickly ripped herself from Barry and went to say something to Charlotte, but the blonde had already grabbed her keys and ran. 

There was a beeping sound coming from the computer which alerted the two that someone was coming up in the elevator. Caitin turned around and saw that Iris was heading inside. 

"Look who's here," she exclaimed, trying to shake off what had just happened. She kissed Barry and broke her best friend's heart. She didn't know why she did it, or why she allowed Barry to do it, and she was furious with herself. She wished that she could go back in time and stop herself from kissing Barry. 

"Yes. Her."

Back at the elevators, Iris had stepped out and was greeted by a tear-stained Charlotte. Iris dropped her purse and quickly walked over to the blonde.