37.

"You're not going to lose your dad, Barry, because you're going to be there to protect him like you've done to so many people."

Quiver

Chapter 37; The Real Reverse-Flash

"We were able to identify the other Trickster," Joe announced to the group as the stood around in the Cortex. "His name's Axel Walker, age twenty-five. Apparently him and James have been corresponding through snail mail for over a decade."

Charlotte couldn't help but be impressed by how long the Tricksters had been planning the attacks. Snail mail was slow, hence the name. It must've taken a few years for the two of them to pull it off. 

"I should have been there," muttered Barry in a dejected tone. He was sitting at one of the chairs with his forearms resting on his thighs. Charlotte, who was standing right next to him, put her hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

"We're gonna find your dad, okay?" she promised. 

"Definitely," Cisco added with a nod. Barry let out a small smile before his face returned to stoic. He glanced over at Dr. Wells with a regretful look.

"I guess I should have listened to you." Barry stood up and walked out of the room. Charlotte frowned as she watched his retreating figure. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. She bit down on her lip before following him. She knew exactly where he would be. It was the place where everyone went to be alone with their thoughts. The pipeline.

She walked into the room and saw him sitting down at the top of the ramp, facing the closed door that led to the criminals. Her heels clicked on the floor, causing her to clench her hands together - she hated that sound. Charlotte sat down next to him, being careful to not show her underwear since she was wearing a skirt.

"You okay?" She could tell that he wasn't okay by the way that he was behaving, but she didn't know how else to start a conversation. 

"Do you think my dad is still alive?" he asked her, not moving his head or his eyes from the door in front of him. 

"Of course he is," she reassured even though she didn't know if he was or not. She wasn't usually an optimistic person, but she didn't want to upset him even more. "Jesse only took your dad to use as leverage. He might be crazy, but he's not stupid. And everyone upstairs is looking to find him."

"So now I'm supposed to just leave my dad's fate in the hands of a man who may have had something to do with my mom's murder?" Charlotte's eyes widened before Barry realized what he had said. He turned to face her and to see her reaction.

"Are you talking about Dr. Wells?" asked Charlotte in a soft voice. His eyebrows furrowed at her ability to figure out who he was talking about. "Joe had that suspicion earlier, and if I'm being honest... I'm starting to believe you two. He's too secretive, and I... also saw your Dr. Wells board in your lab when I was going to visit you one day."

"Charlie, I can't do this," he whispered. He shook his head before dropping it down to look down at the floor.

"Yes, you can," she insisted, placing one of her hands on top of his.

"It just doesn't make any sense," he started with an angry tone that Charlotte barely ever heard from him. "I mean, if Wells is a murderer, then why does he want to help me? Why has he helped me stop so many criminals? Or saved Ronnie? Why didn't I see this?"

"Barry, I have spent more time with him than you, and I believed him for so many years. Look, whatever else he is, he is Harrison Wells. You love science. He is science. It's like you made best friends with Einstein."