▪ Thirteen

"So that's all that happened?"

Stella didn't glance at Chris as she replied, her eyes on the last of the chocolate she was pouring over what was going to be a pastry in some hours from now. "Yes, that's all that happened."

"She agreed because she wants revenge?"

"It seems so, yes," she mumbled as she spread the chocolate all over the tray and placed the now empty bowl in front of Chris before putting the tray in the fridge. Straightening up, she untied the apron from around her waist and looked up, only to laugh as she noticed Chris licking his fingers that were now covered in chocolate, just as she had predicted he would do. His eyes were wide as he looked at her.

"What?"

"Nothing, baby, nothing," she smiled as she walked over to him and kissed his head. "Whenever you're finished with the bowl, wash it."

"Sure thing."

With a last smile his way, she left the apron on the table and headed over to their bedroom. She started changing into the clothes she would wear for work and when she was ready, she got in the bathroom to fix her make-up. It hardly took her more than five minutes, it was something she did almost every day and she had gotten quite good at it. As she closed her mascara and checked to make sure her eye-liner was perfect, she noticed Chris watching her through the mirror. She smiled over at him and realising she had noticed him, he pushed himself off of the door and headed over to her, standing just behind her.

"What are you going to do today after work?"

"Karina and Aili said they'd be available for tonight," she mumbled as she looked at him through the mirror as he moved her hair to the side and rested his chin on the crook of her neck, placing both arms around her.

"When am I going to meet Karina? Branka gave me her mask a few days ago and took it yesterday when you were at work so I suppose her suit is ready. It's the first time I'm making something for someone I don't know."

"Karina doesn't know any of us, baby," she reminded him gently. "We can't be sure we can trust her. She knows our codenames thus far and she has never seen any of us without a mask. She'll know about you when she proves we can trust her."

"So, until then, I'll be just Tech-maniac."

"Exactly."

Chris only let out a hum as he placed a kiss on the side of her neck and then moved away. "I'll go to the gym while you're at work and then I'll tidy the house up a bit. Does Aili wear cologne?"

"No, I'd say that's Amadi," she admitted as she followed him out of the bathroom. "Why?"

"It's been a week and I can still smell her cologne in the guest room. When you next see her, tell her to tone it down a bit, will you?"

Stella only laughed as she put her phone and keys in a small bag but she nodded. "Sure thing." Reaching up on her tippy toes, she pressed a quick kiss on his lips. "See you in a few hours."

"Bye."

With a last smile at him, she opened the door and left.

Her shift came out to be rather boring. There weren't many people around and it was just her luck that the two colleagues she was supposed to work with today were probably the only two people she didn't like all that much. So, when she came home later, it was safe to say she was very glad her shift was over.

"Baby," she called out as she got inside, "I'm home!"

She closed the door behind her and placed her bag on an armchair just as Chris's head peaked out of the guest room with a wide smile. "Hello."