Bizarre - A J POV

"It's the nights like these that take our breath away" - Golden, Kara Marni

Happy 5 year anniversary of Heat!! I hope you enjoy this chapter ( a rewrite of Chapter 1 from Justin's POV) ❤️ I really love and miss this book/characters so much 😢

"Well, I'm here now." Alfredo is shouting at Atifa in the background of the conversation, not listening to a thing I'm saying. "Fredo?" I ask and he comes back to the conversation with a 'huh'. "How long are you guys gonna be?" Growing more frustrated by the second. It was my own fault, I'd been getting increasingly anxious cooped up inside and instead opted for a walk along the beach and making my own way to the club at an agreed-upon time. Obviously forgetting that tipsy people are always, and I mean always, oblivious to time. Especially when there's your best friends girlfriend who can't feel comfortable in an outfit for more than 6 minutes before changing her mind on it.

So now I'm stuck in this strange building, which looks like a pyramid, sat in a chair which is built for at least two people which feels like it's in the middle of Egypt with nobody to talk to about how cool it is with. I've been told it's a hotel and the night club is hidden on the top of the building which if you up during the day you get amazing views of the city. However, it's now almost midnight and very much not in the slightest bit light outside.

"I'm not sure bro," Fredo admits sounding nervous as I sigh falling down into the cushioned seat of the hotel lobby. I should've just went back and met them after having a walk along the beach. I'd be more on the same level of buzz as them and wouldn't be sat here on my own like an idiot. I can't believe I paid for all this shit and I'm the one who's hanging around like I shouldn't be here. "I'll try to get everyone to leave soon but I dunno."

"Yeah okay." I mutter not feeling encouraged by Fredo's weak promise. He apologises as if he's embarrassed by this and we hang up. Maybe he should be embarrassed, I feel embarrassed.

It's lucky the press can't really run around wildly here nevermind come inside the hotel lobby. They'd have a field day with this. 'Justin Bieber sits alone as friends and family abandon him', 'Bieber sat alone in hotel waiting for another girl' the way they can spin stories from a single picture is terrifying. The thought of it makes my stomach flip and chest tense up and I find myself rubbing circles over my heart as if to ease the tension and counting to ten. I went to the beach to have time to myself and chill out, to feel the exact opposite of this. I'm completely back at square one here.

"How bad is it?" A voice comes from behind me followed by the clattering of heels against the marble floor. There's a pause as she halts in her spot before the next words "Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can" she sounds sad. "Thanks for calling me!" The enthusiasm is hiding disappointment, it's something I've done plenty of times. With a huff she continues walking and my eyes are stuck on her. Her voice was soft and firm and beautiful and American but a tinge of something else? Dark hair sways along with her long strides as she continues to clatter her way through the lobby almost jogging as she shoves her phone into a bag and... she's dropped something.

Before I fully register what I'm doing or comprehend what I'm doing I'm following behind her. She's looking around, most likely for a friend and for a second I'm shouting at myself for even going in the same direction of her. This is a much busier part of the lobby and I can't help but be aware of the attention this could draw to my presence here. I dip halfway to her, picking up what looks like a mirror which fell from her purse and then take a deep breath before making the final steps towards her.

Approaching someone you don't know is always agonising but when you find them insanely attractive then the pressure always intensifies. I tap her softly on the shoulder looking at her with wide eyes as I offer up the mirror. "You dropped this" I say quietly, nerves choking me as I look at her properly for the first time. She's stunning. The long dark hair goes to her chest and she has warm dark eyes which seem to drink me in as she grasps the mirror from my hands mumbling a 'thanks' and her voice is truly beautiful. She looks up at me then, with the dark eyes and as her eyes settle on my face she blinks a few times in disbelief. My shoulders tense up hoping that she's not going to freak out like so many people in this position would.