Chapter 1 - Thief

"Catch that cat!"

I grimaced as I began to run down the cobblestone street. Do these people not realize how revolting it is to be called that?

I glanced over my shoulder to see a pair of enforcers hot on my tail. No pun intended. Rats, I'd been hoping to get away clean with this one. I sighed. Time for Plan B.

I veered off down one of the city's many alleyways. I continued running, sneaking peeks over my shoulder every couple seconds. Man, enforcers seemed to be getting slower and slower lately. Or maybe it's just me getting faster.

When they were far enough behind that I knew they weren't catching up any time soon, I turned again. I knew these streets like the back of my hand... paw... oh, nevermind. I've been thieving in this city for as long as I could remember. I knew the streets way better than either of these two behind me possibly could. After all, they weren't accomplished thieves like myself. I allowed myself a smug smile.

I looked at the alley I had chosen. Tall stone buildings on either side, dim lighting, a dead end, and plenty of hiding places due to the junk piled throughout. It was perfect.

I stopped, glancing back once more. They were still out from sight. I scanned the area quickly, deciding the best route for what I was going to do.

After a couple more seconds, I had formulated a plan. I ran towards the old cart leaning against one of the walls and quickly climbed it. Looking at the entrance to the alley again, I smirked as I realized the dunces still hadn't caught up. Eying the jump I would have to make, I estimated about twenty feet. Easy.

I leaped up to the roof, leaving no sign of where I'd gone. I peered over the edge, just in time to see the two pot-bellied enforcers enter the alley. I smirked again as they looked around, clearly confused as to where I had gone. Funny how no one ever looks up, isn't it?

Well, that was solved. They would probably be searching that alley for a while now. I ran across the rooftops, laughing at the pure stupidity of the law enforcers in these parts.

+++

That merchant never knew what hit him. Well, so, maybe he did. After all, he did send those enforcers after me. But that's beside the point. I got away, didn't I? Alec won't be happy when he hears about this one, though. I winced at the thought. I would probably have to endure another of his rants.

Alec had been the one to raise me these past twelve years, ever since he saved me from the fire that night. He was like a father to me. Or maybe an uncle - whatever. Either way, he had been the male figure in my life.

Unfortunately, however, he had this thing against me being a thief. Who knows why. Well, I suppose it could be the fact that he is an enforcer himself...

Whatever his reasons, every time he finds out I've been indulging myself again, he gets mad. Really mad. Like, raging bull mad. Seriously, he overreacts.

That's why I prefer to get away without being seen. Because, if ever an enforcer identifies the thief as a malkin, Alec tends to jump to conclusions. Hey, whoever said I was the only malkin thief in these parts? Just because I hadn't heard of another doesn't mean they don't exist.

I crossed my fingers, hoping Alec didn't hear about this one.

+++

"What have I told you about this?!"

You guessed it, he heard. I just sat there, it was really the only thing to do in the face of his wrath.

"Why do you keep doing this? What if you get caught? What will you do then? Dunce!"

I broke my silence. This was just too insulting. I mean, really, dunce?

"Get caught? You must be joking. Have you seen your friends run?" I scoffed.

His face darkened. Oops. Should've kept my big mouth shut. I mentally kicked myself.

"My friends? You must be joking. You know I can't stand them!" he snarled. Literally, his teeth were bared and everything.

"Yeah, I know you hate them. Them and the rest of the world! What did the world do to you?" Rotten apples, why do I keep opening my mouth? I'm only making things worse! I'm usually much better at keeping quiet than this.

"I don't have to take this," he was suddenly deceptively calm, his grey eyes glinting like steel. Ah, goddesses, that was his dangerous tone. He was seriously about to blow.

Then, he stormed from the room. A moment later, I heard the front door slam. What just happened?

I sat there, puzzled. Where was he going? And why did he leave in the first place? By Chandra, now I really do want to know what the world did to him, if the subject's that touchy.

But hey, at least he was done yelling at me. For now. Don't get me wrong, Alec is actually a really nice guy most of the time. I just have a talent for making him mad. What can I say? It's a gift.

I sighed. Now what? A smile appeared at my thought. Maybe I should go out... for a little night time thieving.

+++

Stealing at night is one of my specialties. When the world is the same color as your fur, anything is made possible.

As I skulked on top of a building, looking out at the dark city, I wondered if this was a good idea. After all, Alec had seemed pretty upset back there. Maybe going out and stealing again right after that argument isn't the brightest idea I've ever had.

Just as I decided I should go back home, I saw something move. I turned back. What was that? There it was again! It seemed I might not be the only miscreant out tonight.

I wondered if it was someone I knew; I was in with most of the bands around these parts. I prided myself on knowing everybody who was anybody - in the thieving world, anyway. Obviously I didn't know the Masters or any nobility.

Curious, I continued to look around, in hopes of spotting the moving figure once more. Sadly, however, it was nowhere to be seen. I sighed.

"Hey there, ol' buddy!"

I jumped at the sudden noise in the silent night. Cursing, I turned to see my friend Tandie grinning smugly in the darkness.

"Gotcha good, didn't I?" he said with a wink.

I shook my head. "Did not. I was just... distracted."

"Distracted, eh? Nah, just admit it, I got you this time!" he insisted. Tandie and I had a sort of game going, you see. We would try to catch each other off guard; it keeps us on our toes.

"Did not," I insisted again, grumpily. If I were to be honest, though, he kind of did. I mentally kicked myself for the second time that night. I really should have been paying more attention.

A flash of orange in the darkness. I whipped around, determined to catch whoever it was.

"Hey, buddy, what's wrong?" Tandie asked, sounding concerned. "You all right? You seem a bit jumpy tonight."

"No, I-I'm fine. Just... thought I saw something." What was going on? Tandie was right, I really was jumpy tonight.

"I'm going to head home. Catch you later," I said, deciding I just needed a good nights sleep.

"All right. You sure you're okay?" he asked again, concern still coloring his voice.

"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine. Just tired."

 +++

A/N: I know it's short, and I'm sorry. I've got a bit of writer's block. It's really a small miracle I wrote this much. Also, I know not much happened in this chapter, but it was necessary, honest! Anyways, what do you guys think? Do you like Tandie? I know I do, he's kind of fun to write. So, vote/comment/fan, it really does motivate me to write more!