Nine: Man VS Cow

Laura's eight month belly weighed heavily on her once again as she watched the colored leaves fall from the trees revealing that fall was upon them. Laura held her belly as her and her nephew Psalms hurried towards the barn. Wes had hurt himself and Psalms ran to get Laura as soon as it happened. Laura ran as fast as she could into the barn to find Wes sitting on the ground holding his leg. Laura grew uneasy seeing blood seep from his hands. Laura came to his side as Psalms said," Pa ran to get Ma. I'm gonna ride into town and grab the doctor." Before Laura could say a word Psalms was gone. Laura began stripping off Wes' belt making him let out a confused grunt as she wrapped it around his thigh before pulling it tight. Wes let out a pained yelp as Laura said," This should stop the bleeding. What did you do?" Wes groaned as he removed his hands from the wound on his leg. Laura gasped at the gunshot wound as she took her apron placing it in the wound, holding pressure. Wes let out a pained groan before he said," There's a cow out in the field we had to put down. We brought her in here and as soon as I cocked the gun she went mad. I don't know how it happened but I shot myself." Laura felt around his leg and let out a sigh of relief to find that the bullet had excited out the other side. Danny came running into the barn with Lottie on his tail. Lottie quickly took over for Laura knowing she was in no shape to help much. Laura frowned and noticed how pale he had gotten. Laura kissed his temple and said," We have to do something, Danny. I can't lose my husband." Danny took his sister's words to heart and couldn't let his brother in law die. Danny got in front of Wes, noticing he was starting to pass out from the pain. Danny slapped at Wes' cheeks and said," Don't start falling asleep on me now. I haven't even made fun of ya' yet for shooting yourself in the leg." Wes breathlessly chuckled as leaned his head against Laura's shoulder. Laura gently held his head to her chest as Wes said," Says the man who ran from the cow first. I swear I'm gonna kill that cow and eat a huge steak." Laura chuckled and kissed his temple once again. Laura blinked away tears as she said," A big steak with potatoes, those sweet cooked carrots you like and a fresh loaf of bread." Wes smiled and nodded as he leaned against her letting sleep tak him.

Laura paced outside her bedroom as the doctor was in with Wes. Danny quickly went to his sister's side and drug her over to a rocking chair. Laura rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her big belly. Danny chuckled and said," The doctor said he was just fine. He passed out from the pain and now he's just cauterizing the wound. Stop your worrying-" He was cut off by Wes' screams sounding through the cabin. Laura cringed knowing the doctor was cauterizing the wound, she was glad Lottie took the kids back to her and Danny's home for the night. Laura stood back up as another scream echoed through the room. Danny wrapped an arm around her shoulders as he watched a look of worry and fear etch into her features. Soon the door opened to reveal the doctor carrying out his bag. He smiled at Danny and Laura and said," He's just fine. I've wrapped up his leg where I cauterized the the bullet wound and left some cream and more bandages to wrap up and give him new. I highly suggest he doesn't walk much for a few weeks and if he does to use a crutch." Laura nodded and quickly thanked the doctor before running in their bedroom. Her heart clenched at the pale and pained Wes that laid in bed. She crawled in beside him, grabbing his attention. He gave her a weak smile as she kissed his cheek. Danny just shook his head at the couple before sneaking out with the doctor. Wes laid his head against her chest and said," I can't believe I shot myself. I know it's been a good ten years since I shot a gun but I didn't think I'd shoot myself." Laura giggled as she felt his hand reach over and gently rubbed her belly. He sighed and said," I thought I'd never see my baby. When passed out, I thought I was dead." Laura just gently shushed him and as he began to fall asleep from some morphine the doctor had gave him.

Wes sat in a chair by the fire just basking the warmth is gave off as he heard Laura softly hum as she cooked. He knew she was excited, all her brothers and their families were coming for dinner and big bonfire. Wes slowly stood catching Laura's attention. Laura put her hands on her hips as she watched him use the crutch to start heading outside. Laura cleared her throat and said," Where on earth do you think you're going Weston?" Wes just gave her a sly smirk and slowly began making his way outside. Laura rolled her eyes and looked to Caleb, who was playing checkers with himself on the floor. He let out a aggravated sigh before running out to help his step father. Caleb walked alongside Wes and  said," You need to stop worrying Mama. You're gonna make the baby come sooner." Wes chuckled and shrugged as he pointed towards a some firewood. Caleb quickly grabbed three small logs in both arms before carrying them over. Wes smiled and said," Well I don't think it'll be the first baby to come early." Wes leaned against the nearby tree as Caleb began building up the fire wood. Caleb frowned and said," Well Matthew calls you Pa and this new baby will too, can I start calling you that too? For some odd reason I still love my Pa no matter what he did to me and mama but you've been a better Pa than he ever has." Wes teared up and gestured for Caleb to come towards him. Caleb reluctantly walked over and grew stiff as Wes brought him in a tight hug. Caleb slowly relaxed into the hug as Wes said," I'd be honored if you called me Pa." Laura couldn't help but watch from the window with tears flowing down her cheeks. She rolled her eyes at her behavior as she went back to the stove, stirring the large pot of potatoe soup. She gently rubbed her baby belly as she felt a light cramp going through her back and down her legs. Laura shook it off and decided to make some cornbread.

Wes' eyes grew several wagons slowly made their way to the large foreman cabin. He watched Laura slowly come from the house to meet her family. Wes had meet them all a few time but it still made him a nervous wreck when all three of her brothers were in the same place together. Jeffrey slowly made his way to stand by Laura as Lottie came running to her. Lottie immediately attacked her belly rubbing her hand along the top. Lottie giggled and said," I think its triplets. I mean this by no offense, but I saw you yesterday and I swear your bigger." Laura giggled at her sister in law as Danny and CJ came to meet with the couple as well. Laura hugged her youngest brother CJ and then Danny. CJ chuckled and looked over her belly. CJ smiled and said," That must be biga-" Danny quickly put a hand over his brother's mouth before he started cursing in front the women and the kids. Laura chuckled and rolled her eyes as she went to the fire to start ladeling out for. CJ and Danny stood with Wes and watched as their middle brother Kevin and his wife try to help all eight of their kids get their food. CJ shook his head and said," I believe that's going to be Laura and good ole Wes, here in a couple years." Wes and Danny chuckled as a sweet smile grace Wes' lips. Danny looked to Wes and said," What kind of smile is that there, Crip?" Wes just shrugged as he leaned little more against his crutch. He looked to Laura and said," Well I don't think it would be all that bad. With my first wife we tried for a long time to have kids but nothing ever came of it. When I was a kid we grew up in a house with twelve kids. In my opinion a house ain't a home unless they're ain't a bunch a kids in it." Danny smiled and patted
Wes' back as CJ frowned. CJ sighed and said," But kids can be sticky and gross." Wes just chuckled and rolled his eyes Caleb came and stood with Wes. Caleb leaned against Wes and said," Watch Mama and see if you see anything weird. She acting funny." The three men looked to Laura and watched her carefully. Wes rolled his eyes and cussed under his breath. All CJ, Danny and Caleb looked to him and said," I swear to God I think she's in labor."