He sighed, shaking his head. “And that’s why so many people fail.”

“What?”

“Mason,” Samuel said, angling his body so he was facing me, “there are more important things than the Olympics. I know right now, this seems like your life. But remember that life still goes on around you. The Olympics aren’t everything.”

“It’s what I’ve worked for my entire life.”

“And now you’re here, and you’re barely scraping by.”

“But why?”

“Because of your mindset. You’ve put the Olympics above all else. Which, don’t get me wrong, that’s the type of mindset you need to medal here, but you’ve done it for too long. You’ve let everything else crumble around you.”

I absorbed the information in silence.

“The only way you’re going to be able to get yourself focused for tonight is by fixing the distractions.”

“I’ve tried to.”

“Trying isn’t good enough,” Samuel said. “Being an Olympic athlete, you should know that. Success is the only acceptable result.”

I pulled the ice packs off of my shins and ran out the door.

“Where are you going?” Coach Bill called. “The race starts in less than an hour!”

“I’m just going upstairs,” I called back, jogging backwards. “I’ll be right back, promise.”

“Mason!” Coach Bill called after me, but I was already gone.

I sprinted up the stairs and into my parents’ box.

“Mason?” mom asked, furrowing her eyebrows. “What in the-”

“Zoe,” I said, locating her in the room. She was staring at me with wide eyes.

I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the box and into a corner.

“What is going on?” she asked, looking at me as if I was crazy.

“I need to talk to you.”

“I guessed that when you jerked me out of the room,” she said, with a light laugh.

“Just hear me out, okay?”

She nodded, watching me with careful eyes.

“You mean the world to me. Nothing will ever come between us. No matter what anybody says or does, you will always be in my heart. Your spot will never be replaced. You hold the key to my heart and you have since we met. I will love you forever. And no matter how much we fight, things will be okay. Like I said, I will love you forever. No matter what,” I said, all in one breath.

“What?” Zoe asked. “Mason, what is this?”

“This is me begging for you to take me back.”

She closed her eyes and then opened them again. “You’re about to compete in the Olympics! I don’t understand-”

“I don’t have much time,” I interrupted. “But I can’t focus out there.”

“What do you mean?”

“My feelings for you are distracting me from the race.”

She blankly stared at me.

“Everything about you. Your hair, your eyes, your sense of humor, the way you make me forget about everything else, and-”

“Mason,” she whispered, placing her hands on either side of my face. “I don’t know what this is, and I don’t really understand what’s going on but…” She let her sentence trail off, staring into my eyes. And then she placed her lips on mine.

I wrapped my arms around her waist, eagerly kissing her back. I didn’t realize how much I missed this, how much I missed us.

“Now go out there and bring me back a gold,” she whispered into my ear, sending shivers up my spine.

“Anything for you my dear,” I said, giving her one last kiss.

I sprinted down the stadium and back into the locker rooms, having to fight my way through the paparazzi.

“Told you,” Samuel said, as I hurried in.

“He does look more alive,” Caleb commented, holding the Biofreeze. “Want some?”

I nodded and turned around, letting him roll on the Biofreeze where the tape wasn’t.

“I’ll kill you later,” Bill promised, glaring at me. “But right now, we need to focus.”

“I can do that,” I said, with full confidence.

“That’s great,” Caleb said, patting my head.

I rolled my eyes while Norman taped up my right shin.

“You’re ready for this,” Bill promised me, taking me by my shoulders. His touch was light on my left one. “This is what we’ve been training for.”

“All those brutal practices,” Samuel added. “The times you fell into the ice bath, grateful for the numbing pain? This is what that was for.”

“Leave everything on the track,” Bill said, looking into my eyes. “Don’t leave that track knowing you gave less than your 100.”

With those words, Coach Bill left me to go talk to Caleb.

“Clear your mind,” Samuel ordered. “I don’t care if you just went and had the best makeup sex of your life.”

“That would be the fastest sex of my life.”

Samuel shrugged. “Not impossible. But beside the point. This is your future Mason. That gold medal is as good as yours if you apply yourself.”

“But Caleb-”

“Has nothing on you. You’ve beat him before, you can beat him again. Your mind is focused on that gold medal. You’re capable.”

“Athletes out to the track,” Coach Bill ordered. He gave my right shoulder one last squeeze. “Go out there and make America proud.”

“And kick some ass,” Samuel called out behind us.

I took my position, my heart pounding in my chest. This was the Olympic finals. My entire future, everything I’d ever worked for, rested on the next 12-13 seconds of my life.

“Set,” the voice called.

I got into position, my heart pounding.

The gunshot went off.

***************************************************************************************************************

So it finally happened. Everything you guys have been BEGGING me for. Zoe & Mason are "together" again :D

I'm spoiling you guys with updates this week. I almost kept this one to myself for a couple of days, just in case I don't have time to write next week, but I knew you all were dying to know what happens. So I gave you a cliffhanger instead (; You're welcome!

Watching the X Factor boot camps that I've missed while doing random things. And I'm cringing for the contestants... My heart goes out to these people.

Picture off to the right was submitted by purplestain. It's really good, especially for this chapter. Check it out! -->

Video off to the right is the song Hard to Love by Lee Brice. It was sent to me by booksrule4life. Check it out! -->

Teaser: FINALS! Eeeeep :D I'm just as excited as you guys (;

Update: Within the next week, that's my goal anyways!

Special Word: Hearty