Chapter 3

I stand abruptly, my chair would have toppled over but the balcony is so small that it smacks against a wall with a loud thud instead. I need some air. I need to think. I march through the apartment, past Oak staring blankly at the flickering television screen and out the door. Groping for Nightfell at my hip as I descend the concrete steps in search of the closest thing that feels like home: the wooded area behind the apartment buildings.

It is time to get my strength back.

Thwack. I draw Nightfell in a furious arc over my shoulder and slice away a thin unsuspecting branch of the innocent tree in front of me. I have let so much time pass and still have no plan. But going through training drills calms me and helps me to think clearly. Although the tree doesn't make for the best sparring partner.

I just need to find a way to get back into Elfhame, I think, angrily taking another swing at the branch. Taryn betrayed me but maybe she'd be willing to help me if it means I'd forgive her. But I haven't forgiven her. I don't think I can. Not when I'm stuck here and she's there, a Gentry son's wife, in Locke's big beautiful castle of a home, sharing his bed and, "Ugh!" I shout out loud, not caring if I dull my sword by stupidly smacking it against the bark of the tree, but these thoughts are not doing me any good. All I have realized is that I am jealous of Taryn.

And I've gotten weak.

And I still have no plan.

Perhaps if I could get a message to Grimsen...My mind wanders as I continue my drills. But I am putting too much emotion into my movements. The jeans that Vivi insists I wear are tight and constricting. And I have tired myself out. I lunge toward a sparse bush, feint left as if it were an opponent and bring Nightfell down hard, expecting to hit nothing but a few leaves. Instead my sword collides with a reverberating clang that knocks me back on unsteady feet.

"Your swordplay and your form have grown weak in your time here, daughter." Madoc stands before me, short-sword drawn and his cat eyes piercing into mine as if he's pinning me down before him with his glare.

He returns his sword to its scabbard, then turns to signal the two guards behind him, one on his left and one on his right. They both leave with a nod, disappearing into the thick of the wood. I notice then how dark it has become and shame heats my face at being caught so unaware.

Madoc regards me in the silence that follows. I never imagined he would find me. I know from experience that he could find me, he's done it before when he found my mother hidden away here in the mortal world. Found her and punished her, I think with a shudder. But I didn't think that Madoc would have a reason to seek me out. I manage to mumble an acknowledgement, "Madoc."

"I can admit that I admire what I have learned from you. And yet you surprise me still." Madoc circles me slowly, hands clasped at his back, an intimidation tactic.

"Why are you here?"

"Don't you see, Jude? I have vowed to never underestimate you again. So when I began to hear rumor of your shameful exile--good move with Balekin, by the by, you took care of that obstacle for me--I also learned that you were quite the laughing stock that day." He stops in front of me and shakes his head with an admonishing tsk. "Claiming to be the Queen of Faerie, ha! What a fool everyone thought you to be. Everyone. But. Me."

I inhale sharply and my eyes prick with the exertion it takes to keep a straight face. Madoc sees through my bluff. He laughs again, clearly impressed or perhaps delighted by my deceit.

"My clever, clever daughter Jude. The plain and poor orphaned mortal child, stolen away to Faerieland by a war-hungry general. You have paid much more attention to my lectures of strategy than I thought. Well played, my Queen."

In a panic, I glance over Madoc's shoulder toward the buildings of the apartment, suddenly fearful of Vivi and Oak's safety. I only saw the two guards but I am smarter than to believe that. Of course there would be more. Of course he already has Oak stolen away. Madoc smiles satisfactorily. He knows what I'm thinking. And by his arrogance I know that what I feared most has already come into play. I couldn't protect my brother and sister. Just like I couldn't protect my own sons. All I can do now is appeal to Maddoc, "What do you want?"

He laughs again. Haughty and arrogant. His eyes alight with the hunger he longs for--war, schemes, power. He's pleased with himself for finally getting a step ahead of me, his assumptions of me were correct. My mind races over the possibilities of Madoc's intentions-- If he does have Oak...why is he still here?

"I came to offer you my assistance," Madoc begins, he feigns offense when I scoff, brows raised and a hand placed over his heart. He leans down to speak next to my ear, "I know you well, daughter. And I know you want your revenge. I can get you into Elfhame. And from there, I believe we both shall be delighted to see what it is the Queen of Faerie can do."

Madoc leans back then, smug by what he reads in my expression. He begins to pace leisurely in front of me, letting his words sink in while he pretends to be amused by the foreign foliage of the mortal world. I watch him idly although my pulse races in time with my mind. He doesn't know about Auron and Virion, I realize. Does that mean Cardan has kept them in secret?

"Take the bargain, Jude. You truly have nothing left to lose."

"But I am just a mortal girl. I have never possessed the magic of the folk before, so then is it not true that there would be no magic in me as queen? And what good am I to you then? I can't help you take on Cardan. Especially for a cause I don't believe in!

"You would leave Cardan on his throne, where you put him, while you have been stripped of your title and living in filth in exile? You have come so far, Jude, are you really willing to admit defeat now?"

I sink down to my knees, suddenly exhausted and overwhelmed. Night has fallen and with it a cold that creeps along the forest floor. I've been left anguishing over feelings of defeat for weeks upon weeks. But. Madoc is right. This is my chance, finally after all this time, a chance to get back into Elfhame, to get my sons back.

He removes his black and gold stitched jacket, a general's jacket and drapes it over my shoulders. I say nothing as he crouches beside me, no matter what has transpired between us, no matter that he is my parents' murderer, he is still a father to me.

Madoc may have a plan. But I am already one step ahead of him.

Because, I have a secret.