"Nothing really." Steve muttered, biting his lower lip to deny the yawn that so desperately wanted to escape. "Just random stuff."

"Right.."

Sam rolled his eyes at the two of them. Typical. "Steve, go home mate. You look exhausted." He ordered. "You can come and get me tomorrow."

"But-

"No. You need some sleep. Bucky, please take him home."

"Okay.." Bucky breathed. "Come on, Steve. Let's leave Sam to get some rest."

************

The drive to the opening of the woods was silent. Bucky could tell that Steve was holding in a lot of emotions, he could tell that he wanted to burst into tears again, that he was holding back as to not embarrass himself.

Bucky wanted to assure the other that he didn't need to feel embarrassed. That Steve had seen him cry countless of times. But as soon as he parked the Ute, Steve was out in a flash and heading through the woods.

He sighed and followed after, swatting away bugs and branches, opening and closing his mouth like a fish as he tried to find the right words to explain to Steve. "You don't need to come with me." Steve snapped him from his thoughts. "I'm fine."

Bucky was taken aback. "Um- are.. are you sure that you are? I.. I don't want you to blame yourself for what happened.."

"Yes I'm sure. So just.. go. I'm fine." Steve grumbled, walking up the steps to his cottage and unlocking the door.

Bucky sighs, but turns around on his heel to walk away. He pretends to do so, stopping quickly and running behind a tree to make sure that the other was telling the truth. He just had to be sure.

The boys assumptions were correct. As soon as Steve noticed that the boy was nowhere in sight, he broke down into fits of sobs, hunching his shoulders in on himself. Steve fell inside of the cottage, the stallion looking worried for its owner as it poked its head through the open door and gave a soft neigh.

Bucky's heart dropped into the pit of his stomach. He makes his way slowly up the stairs to not spook the semi wild animal, placing his hand gently on the small of its back and whispers softly, "it's okay, boy. It's just me."

The horse moves its gaze back inside of the cottage, neighing softly at not seeing his owner on the floor. Bucky follows the horses gaze and gasps. "Shit- where'd he go.."

He walks wearily inside of the cottage, taking small easy steps toward the bedroom, and felt his heart drop once more at the sight. Steve was curled tightly in a ball atop his bed, whimpering and sniffing into a pillow. His shoes were lazily thrown near the wall and his curtains were drawn.

"Steve?" Whispers Bucky, taking a step toward the sobbing boy. "Steve?"

"G-go away!" Cries Steve, holding his knees to his chest. "I don't w-want you seeing.. seeing me like.. like this.."

"Steve.. you've seen me at my worst countless of times. Let me help.. please."

Bucky didn't wait for a response. He carries himself onto the bed, moulding in behind Steve and wraps his arm around his middle, pressing a hasty kiss to the back of his head. "Shh, it's okay.. I don't get why you're crying, hon.. what's wrong?"

Steve hooks his legs around the smallers with a hiccup, grabbing ahold of his hand and bringing it up to his quivering lips. "It's- it's my f..fault.. I.. I know Sam s-said it isn't but- but.. but it is! I can see.. see in his eyes.. how much pain he's in.. I.. I caused that.."

"No it's not, Steve. You couldn't have known that this would happen. Like Sam said, you both flew off your bikes. He.. he just wasn't as lucky."