22. Better Without You

Jason had arrived home, exhausted after another day of his face buried into work since Draven was absent again and they were handed papers from other editors they needed to review and send over to the publication agents. It had been stressful without him around, but Sophie had texted them and said she had been staying with him for the past few days, which slightly calmed their concerns.

However, he had not expected to hear his name being called from behind him, and when he turned around, he saw a man with a hood hesitantly advance towards him. The moment they removed the hood, Jason almost dropped his briefcase.

"Hey...old friend," Eric greeted cautiously, keeping his distance just in case Jason was going to lunge at him.

Jason scoffed, "What are you doing here?" They hadn't spoken ever since Eric left. When Eric left, they had been on good terms. However, he hadn't been contacted once, and their friendship had been quiet ever since.

Eric shuffled at his feet, clearing his throat before admitting, "I wanted to say I'm sorry. Could you tell him that for me—?"

"You think Draven was even phased by your little press?" Jason lied confidently, broadening his shoulders. "He doesn't even care, he's doing great."

"I know he hasn't been to work in over a week," Eric said in a tight voice, guilt rushing into his bloodstream. Jason did not respond to that, his lips tightening into a line. That made Eric continue to say, "I didn't mean for it to reach that far."

"He's been getting nonstop hate mails. Hate comments, hate videos made about him, hate emails, hate inboxes—you ruined his life saying these things." He noticed Eric tighten his grip in his pocket, which made him add, "People are telling him to go kill himself. You ruined his whole career."

Eric shook his head, "It was because of Kyle—"

"Oh fuck the excuses Eric!" Jason exclaimed, widening his arms. "Regardless of the purpose of this ammo, you destroyed Draven. He didn't deserve that, and you know it."

Eric sighed, "I know—"

"It's strange to me how much he loves you. The whole time you were gone, even during the dispute you had a few years back, Draven would always talk about how much he misses you. He read your books all the time, and supported you behind close doors even when you both were fighting. But to say that he abused you?"

"It wasn't—"

Jason interrupted him again, "It's not the fact that you lied, it's the fact that that specific lie was told. Draven could never lay a hand on you, and all he's done was love. For you to make up such a graphic and disgusting lie? To protect what, your fiancé who clearly doesn't trust you anymore?"

Eric paused for a moment, feeling his air become caught in his throat. It took a few seconds of silence to help him build the courage to speak, and he said quietly, "Just tell him I'm sorry."

"I'm not going to tell him anything. How about you face him yourself, own up to it yourself," Jason spat, scrutinizing his features before sharply spinning around on his heels. "Then maybe you'll see how far you really went."

-&-

It was the first time Draven had even laughed in days. It had taken a while until he really began having regular conversations with Sophie, who forcefully pulled him from bed numerous times to drag him to the bathroom. He hadn't showered in days, and barely ate a full meal. Which was why she took great care of him, cooked him his favourite meals and made it a point that he always said his blessings beforehand.

"I'm not really thankful for anything," he muttered, staring depressingly at the plate of Alfredo pasta.

It was Sophie, who had already taken a huge bite from her plate, that insisted for him to mention anything. She waved her hand, mouthful of food in her hand as she mumbled, "Think of something!"

"I'm thankful for my writing skills."

"That works," she shrugged her shoulders; it was a way for her to have him view the bigger picture outside of his discouraged mind state.

Then he stared saying more, "I'm thankful for you, and Miranda, Jason, Rebecca. Hector, maybe."

"I'm thankful to be healthy and alive, and honestly I miss work."

Unfortunately, his vulnerability had gotten the best of him. He needed comfort, wanted someone to embrace him with warmth. After a week, he knew Sophie was to wake him in the morning and prepare a bath for him. He started becoming more dependent of her, staring at her curls bounce all the way to her lower back as she left the bathroom to grab a towel for him.

They had been watching a movie that night. Draven had finally been able to leave his bedroom, and Sophie wanted to do any activity possible to prevent him from returning to he confinement of his bedroom. Which was why she played a movie, a comic movie specifically to watch him laugh and smile throughout every joking scene. His entire face had been brighter these past days, and he had mentioned Eric less and less.

After the movie ended and the credits ended, both at one end of the couch with the blanket above their legs, Draven had the box of half empty popcorn in his hand and continued to pick at a few. "We should watch another one," he offered excitingly.

Sophie smiled, "That was a good one wasn't it."

"It was," he said, "you picked a good one." However, he leaned over to reach for the remote on the table, Sophie leaped and grabbed it first, staring at him challengingly. He raised an eyebrow, "Let me pick this one."

"I have a good one in mind, don't complain."

"So my say has no meaning?"

"Unfortunately it doesn't—hey!" She rugged backwards, feeling his fingers reach towards her arm and pull her towards him. "I'll let you choose the one after this, relax."

"That's unfair."

"Life isn't fair," she chuckled.

She was resisting, and he had a playful grin on his face, attempting to yank the remote from her grip without being too aggressive. However, when he pulled harder, Sophie's entire body followed his movement and she landed on his chest, her face terribly close to his.

It had caught both of them by surprise, Draven inhaling a sharp breath when he noticed how her glossy lips were slightly opened, plumbed and attractive. She noticed the way he was staring at her lips, but she was in no means to resist him. She knew it was coming, and she allowed it to happen.

He needed someone to comfort him, and he followed the motion of his own hormones that pushed his head forehead and connected their lips delicately. It seemed as if Sophie had been eager to feel him once again, that she instantly pulled herself over him, wrapping her arms around his neck and tightening their lips together.