Chapter 6: The wrath of a grieving father

"It's my fault... Pip n- never deserved to die! Everything's m- my fault!"

Burr stared at Alexander, confused. "What do you mean?" Alexander hugged his legs closer to his chest and, tears filling his eyes, buried his face in his hands. Aaron furrowed his eyebrows, rising to his feet. "Hamilton, listen to me. What did you mean when you said Philip died because of you?"

The only response he received from the Caribbean was a muffled sob.

"Alexa-"

"Monsieur Burr, may I suggest that you leave him be?" Lafayette's stiff voice came from behind Burr.

"I just wanted to try and help..."

"I'd say you've already helped enough." The Frenchman growled. "You were about to challenge him to a duel, were you not?"

Burr cringed, "Well, yes but... he and Mulligan saved my life today, why would I-"

"Guys... Please. Don't fight." Alexander shakily got to his feet and wiped his eyes. "I'm fine." He turned to Burr, "Thank you for trying to help but... I just need to be alone."

"Alex, tu es sûr? Je peux t'accompagner si tu veux."

Alexander sniffed, "Non, ça va. J'ai juste besoin de temps pour réfléchir." He looked at Lafayette and Burr's concerned faces. "Really. I'm fine."

"C'mon Laf, Burr, let's leave him be." Hercules walked up to the three men and looked at Alexander with sadness and sympathy in his eyes. Once Lafayette and Aaron had gone back to the cart, the tailor faced Alexander, who'd turned away. "There's people here for you y'know. You're not alone." The Caribbean didn't respond, only let out a shaky breath and started walking away.

"It's quiet uptown..." Alexander's voice cracked as he walked through the charred streets of uptown New York, far past caring if people saw the tears rolling down his face.

"Philip, you would like it uptown, it's quiet uptown..." He paused, a soft sob escaping his throat. "If I could spare your life, my son.... If I could spare your life for mine, you'd still be here, and that would be enough." Alexander staggered against a light pole, his sobs growing stronger. Slumping to the ground, the former revolutionary buried his face in his hands, tears dripping onto the dirt road.

"Pip... I-I'm so so sorry..."

"Mr. Hamilton?"

After a few minutes, a man's unfamiliar voice came from Alexander's side, and a hand was placed on his shoulder.

Stiffening, the Caribbean forced himself to stop crying and wiped his eyes. Then he looked up at the man and his heart seemed to turn to stone.

"George Eacker."

Alexander's voice came out as hard as ice as he stood to face the man who'd killed his son. "What're you doing here?"

Eacker frowned, his eyes narrowing. "I saw that you were upset and wanted to try and help." He crossed his arms, "But, if you're so ungrateful and cold toward people willing to help, that's your problem. Just like everything else is." He added with a sneer.

Alexander, trembling with grief and rage, took a step towards George, his hands clenched so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. "You killed my son." he snarled, "I suggest you get out of here before I do the same to you."