Chapter 1

Yejide Moore's POV

^^ Yejide Moore (yeh-JEE-deh)

"That will be $2.99" I tell the customer in front of me with a bright smile.

"Such a sweetheart, Jide" Mrs Yang, one of our favourite locals, says to me, using my nickname.

She's a lovely old Chinese lady, who visits us at the diner every day.

She doesn't look old. But you can always tell.

She orders the same thing everyday and compliments the staff always, giving out hefty tips too.

"Thank you, Mrs Yang" I say with a chuckle.

She grabs her takeaway wraps and hands me the money, telling me to keep the change as usual and she leaves.

I watch as she leaves the shop and through the glass panels, I see her take off her jacket, folding it away as brilliant blue wings sprout from her back and she lifts off, the colours glinting in the sunlight.

I sigh.

I wish.

But with my fear of heights, that would be completely irrational.

My name is Yejide Moore.

I am 27 years old, Half Nigerian, Half Ghanaian and my species is human.

To simplify, I'm boring.

I work two jobs, despite the fact that my parents are some of the best lawyers in the city.

They advocate mainly for the supernatural beings and they are quite well known and loved.

Me?

I couldn't be anymore different to them and the rest of my well-put-together siblings, but I am past the caring stage.

"Yeji!" My best friend, Malikah exclaims, running into the diner, and scooping me into a bone crushing hug.

^^ Malikah Alamini

^^ Malikah Alamini. *(Mah- lee-kuh)

5'6. Kenyan, absolutely no-nonsense, and extremely sarcastic, Malikiah has been one of my best friends, since pre-school.