A Morning Run & A Mission//The Winter Soldier

Melody was grateful for the three weeks off she and the rest of the team had gotten after the Battle of New York.

The time off gave the team time to spend with their families, do things that didn't include saving the world, and just be themselves.
Melody spent time with her mom, and the rest of her family. She taught Steve about electronics and in return, he helped her work on her strength, hand to hand combat, and strategizing skills.

The Battle of New York was nearly two years ago, and the anniversary was slowly creeping up. Melody couldn't believe it had already been almost two years. She remembered fighting off hordes of aliens like it was yesterday.

In the two years since the battle, Steve and Melody had been running random missions when needed. Usually, Fury would text or call them and let them know when or where they were needed. Melody was happy with the change, not having to be at the S.H.I.E.L.D offices everyday gave her some sense of normalcy.

The uncle and niece duo started out their day the way they did most days, working out. Given, running 13 miles around D.C. was not what Melody was used to in the slightest, but she was determined to at least attempt to keep up with Steve.

After the first five minutes, Melody realized that keeping up with her super soldier great uncle was impossible for her. As she was running, she noticed another man in a light gray sweater running as well and decided that it would be much easier to keep up with him.

She ran on his right side, close to the water, keeping pace with him as she ran. The two never spoke a word to each other, and even if he tried to speak to her, she wouldn't hear it. She had her earbuds in and her music was so loud, the man could hear it.

Steve had lapped them three times before, saying something inaudible to her, that obviously frustrated the man running next to her.

Steve lapped them once again, again, saying something she couldn't hear.

"Oh, come on!" The man next to her shouts, making Melody laugh since she actually heard it.

She pulled the earbud out of her left ear as her and the man both slow down. They both walk off and sit across from each other, against some trees.

"Hey, you good?" Melody questions the man, slightly concerned about the amount of sweat coating the man and how hard he was panting, trying to catch his breath.

"Yeah, I'm okay." The man assures, still breathing quite heavily.

A few moments later, Steve emerges from behind the tree the man is sitting against, startling Melody slightly since she wasn't exactly paying attention.

"You guys need a medic?" Steve questions teasingly, looking between the two sitting on the ground.

"Fuck off, Steve." Melody grumbles. She wasn't even out of breath. Running was easy and she had learned how to manage her breathing when she ran track in high school.

"I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran like, 13 miles in 30 minutes." The man says, still out of breath, still panting heavily.

"I guess I got a late start." Steve says, shrugging as Melody glares at him.

"Really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap. Did you take it? I'm gonna assume that you just took it." The man jokes, earning a small laugh from Melody.