"So, tell me," Kyla said as we walked to our first lesson. "Do you have a date for tonight?"

"Please tell me that by 'tonight', you don't mean the Dance," I pleaded.

"Of course I do," she responded.

I scowled. "I don't."

"The guy doesn't have to make the first move, you know," she said. "You got your eyes on someone?"

I shot her a look. Despite knowing that 14th February was the one day I despised, she asked me such questions every year.

"No," I said in a flat tone.

She let out a frustrated sigh while I gave her a sarcastic smile.

"I'll see you in break," I said as my Math class neared.

"Alright, bye," she said and walked away.

*

I sighed with content as I entered my last lesson for the day. I can finally go home and shut myself in my room; away from this lovey-dovey environment.

Derrick entered the class and sat next to me. We became good friends after he got together with Kyla. That was bound to happen considering I was always the third wheel. He was fun to hang out with, though.

"Got any plans tonight?" he asked.

"Going to lock myself in my room with a big bowl of buttered popcorn and watch Sherlock," I said.

"Spending Valentine's with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman doesn't sound so bad actually," he said with a nod of approval.

"What about you?" I asked.

He ran a hand through his dark blonde hair and said, "Taking Kyla out for dinner and then we're going to the Dance."

I hummed in reply as some students walked into our class with a big basket in their hand. They started walking up to random people and started handing them either a rose or a card.

Rolling my eyes, I opened up my novel and started reading it. I was lost in my world full of science fiction till someone called out made my name.

I looked up to see a girl-Mary? Maria? I don't know-reaching forward to hand me a card and a red rose.

I stared at it with a questioning look for a few seconds before she said, "It's for you."

"Uh, right, thanks," I said and took it from her. 

"You're welcome," she chirped with a smile and walked away after giving Derrick the card Kyla had selected for him.

He turned to me and raised an eyebrow. "Looks like someone's got a little crush on you."

"Shut up," I mumbled, placing the rose on the table and opening the card.

I don't think we've ever actually talked but that doesn't stop me from admiring your beauty. Every day I see your dazzling smile that makes your hazel eyes sparkle. But for some reason, I've never actually come up to you and talked to you. I decided tonight would be the perfect night to do that.

Ava, will you be my valentine?

If your answer's a yes, come see me at the new restaurant downtown at 7pm. I'll be waiting for you outside for you.

-Someone you know

I put the card down and noticed that the back of the card had an address to the restaurant. I stared at it with a frown. Derrick had read it along with me over my shoulder and was smiling with a smug look on his face.