Sleep

In Vino Veritas:

Chapter 9

Maaya stretched her arms as she stared at the night sky which was full of stars, illuminated by the full moon. A rustling sound behind her reminded her that she was sharing a room so it wouldn't be appreciated if she left the curtains open all night. One of the people she was sharing with looked like she was the type of person that would complain.

The amnesiac closed the curtains and adjusted her pyjamas self consciously. The girl in the futon next to her looked flawless, like a doll, even when she was about to go to sleep.

"I am Masako Hara, we never had the chance to introduce ourselves earlier," the girl said, surprisingly politely.

"I've seen you on television so I knew who you were. I'm Maaya Kudou by the way."

"I knew that," Masako answered with a faint trace of a smile.

The moment was interrupted by Ayako coming out of the ensuite bathroom and announcing:

"It's time for some girl talk."

"Matsuzaki-san, I don't think now is the appropriate time-" the psychic started and was cut off by a glance from the priestess. "Actually I think now is perfect."

From what she understood of the priestess' personality she was going to interrogate Mai under the pretext of girl talk in order to gain more information about her and her amnesia.

"I don't mind talking, but I don't have a lot to say. I don't have any memories of high school," Maaya said with a smile.

"That's fine. So, what do you think of SPR?" Ayako asked to start off on a light note.

"I have no idea how you can all stand to work for someone that narcissistic..." Maaya said darkly.

"Tell me about it. He has his moments, but it is possible to keep him in line," Ayako replied, before remembering that Mai had been the one to do it, normally by arguing.

"He can be a gentleman, with the appropriate stimuli," Masako added thoughtfully, neglecting to mention that the aforementioned stimuli was really just plain blackmail.

The amnesiac snorted. "I'll believe that when I see it."

"Your son seems to like him," the priestess commented in what she hoped was a casual manner.

This caused Maaya to pause and consider it. "I did think that it was strange, I thought that he would choose Takigawa-san as he gives off more of a fatherly demeanour."

"Masako-chan, don't you think that there is some resemblance between Yakumo-kun and Naru?"

The psychic threw a glance in the priestess' direction as if to say, don't drag me into this.

"I suppose there is some; the hair and face are similar," she answered hesitantly. "But the eyes are yours, Kudou-san."

The medium then noticed that Maaya wasn't paying any attention and was staring into space. Her eyes were still focused, indicating that she wasn't in a trance or being possessed. For the sake of safety, Masako waved her hand in front of Maaya's face.

"Kudou-san. Kudou-san," Masako said.

"That's not my name," the amnesiac said, returning to her normal personality with a blink of her eyes.

Masako and Ayako exchanged looks, both wondering the same thing. Had Mai recovered her memories?

"What is your real name?" Ayako enquired nonchalantly, unwilling to hope that she had regained them this easily.