Part 29

The above picture is of Cal and Alexis, during a brief period of happiness, that occurred at the very beginning of their relationship.  

Alexis' POV:

Summer was finally here.   And it was my last harrah before I started college in the fall.  There was a lot I wanted to do before then.  A lot of preparation that needed to be done.  But there was one thing in particular that I NEEDED to do.  More than anything else.  And I knew Nichole would be happy to hear.  At least, I thought she would.  I hoped she would.  But, in order to make this happen, I was going to need her help.  It was something I couldn't do alone.  

"Hey", she said, smiling at me, as I went into the kitchen and stood beside her.  She held my hand and pulled me into her lap.

She wrapped her arms around me, as I cuddled into her.  I smiled .  She was always so warm and cozy.  And she always smelled good too. 

"Hey", I said back, with a slight hesitation, as I placed a soft kiss on her lips.

"What's up?" she asked, obviously sensing I had something to tell her.

"How do you know something is up?" 

She laughed.  "Baby, I know you well enough to know."

I hesitated.  Because I was scared to tell her.

"Babe, what is it?" she asked, sounding concerned.

Again, I hesitated.   But I knew I had to tell her.  

"Well, I've been thinking a lot lately.  About my mom and sister.  And well, I'm gonna be starting school soon.  And..." I said, stopping short of finishing.

"And?" she asked, encouraging me to continue.  

"And, well... I was think... maybe it would be good for me to find them.  Like you said."

Her eyes lit up.  "Yeah?"

"Yeah."

She smiled.  "I think that's a good idea.  I really, really do."

-

One month later:

Alexis' POV:

"You nervous?" Nichole asked, reaching across the middle console, placing her hand on my knee.

Nervous?  Nervous was an understatement.  After a month of searching, we had finally located my mother.  Sadly, she was still in a coma and had been moved to a long term facility in the same town as where I used to live with Cal.  And as much as I hated going back there because of all the horrible memories, I knew it was necessary.  I needed to see her.  She was my mother.  And even if she couldn't communicate with me or maybe not even know I was there, I still needed to be with her.  I needed to see her.  It was important.  I loved her and missed her dearly.  Now more than ever.

"It's gonna be fine.  And I'll be right there by your side the whole time."

"Ok", I said.  But not really feeling ok at all.   A million thoughts flooded through my mind.  Doubts and fears.  Nervousness.  Anticipation.  Worry.  Doubt.  And even guilt, for not coming to see her sooner.   But, yet a sense of excitement prevailed because I haven't seen her in so long.  

We pulled into the parking lot of the hospital, and instantly I started shaking.  And I suddenly didn't know if I could even do this.  Or if I even should.

"Maybe this isn't such a good idea", I said, beginning to second guess myself.

"You got this.  It'll be fine.  And besides, you've come too far to change your mind now."