Descriptions

DESCRIPTIONS

DESCRIPTIONS

Fanciness Does Not Trump Accuracy

Maybe it's just me, but every time I go to describe a setting or a character I want to make the description as fancy, lyrical, and flowing as possible. But descriptions don't have to be poetry. Though they can be. What's more important for each description is not the number of items in the room you describe or the deep detail you present. Rather, it's more important you provide your reader with the right description. Ask yourself: "What does my reader need to know about this setting?" Or, even better, "What is the first thing my character, based on their background, is going to notice about the other character?"

Info Dumping Is Real

And a lot of times, you'll find info-dumping chunks off of description. It can also BE description. Don't be afraid to break up your description. It does not have to be chunked into one paragraph. You can instead dot it throughout the dialogue of your scene or thread it through your words as your character notices items or traits of another character. If you find yourself chunking description together, don't immediately cut it! Ask yourself what details are most important, and you can instead cut pieces. Or take your paragraph of description and clip it into pieces to throw in throughout the scene.

Golden 5 Senses

If you're describing a scene, don't spend all your time telling the reader what the scene looks like. Instead, ask your character what they smell, see, taste, hear, and feel. Add the 5 senses to your scene to really pull your reader in. Don't tell me the house is dusty, rather show me your character noting the stagnant air and sneezing. Even subtle descriptions like a character coughing as they move through a room reveals details of the setting to your reader.

Don't Always Go For the Obvious

If you're describing a setting, don't always go immediately to the furniture in the room or the layout of the arena. Likewise, if you're describing a character, don't always start with the hair and eye color. While these details are obvious, and most likely the first thing your character would notice, don't be afraid to throw in some interesting things. If your character, who's grandmother was an amateur painter, walks into a room, maybe before they see the ornate gold-threaded couch, they instead focus on the priceless lighthouse painting on the wall. Give your readers just enough that they have a feeling for the setting or character, but trust them to fill in the lines.

Interaction is Key

9 times out of 10, a character's direct interaction with a scene will provide the ideal description. While you can't always avoid paragraphs of description, having your characters interact with knick-knacks in a room or lightly tap another character's bony shoulder will not only help drop in description but will bring your scene to life.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Which author do you admire most for their descriptions? Why?

Want additional resources? Check the external link!