* f i v e *

When you both returned to the gate halfway up Fujikasaneyama mountain,

Seven days had passed.

The flourishing, glorious blooms of the wisteria trees were a welcome change in scenery. In the past week, you'd witnessed so much dead and decay, and the atmosphere that the threat of demons brought about was gloomy and tense.

Thankfully, you weren't too injured. With the help of Tanjiro, you were able to ward off and kill any demon who sought to finish you off, since you received your head and ear wounds. In the daytime, though demons can only be out when the sun's gone, you would take turns sleeping and watching over the other.

The pure exhaustion you felt was on a whole different level. Your concussion brought on constant headaches, and you were fairly certain that your left eardrum was ruptured.

Tanjiro...

You looked over at him. He was bloodied, beat up, grimy, yet his face was serene, relieved.

He's been so patient through it all, even when I had to take a break, because of my injuries.

Of course, that's not to say you relied on him completely. Countless times, you'd saved him and watched over his back. You'd gotten your fair share of demon kills... But, you'd still give credit where it was due. Tanjiro was talented. And you were grateful for his help --

Not only with combat, but with the loneliness you'd long endured before meeting him.

His company eased your nerves, and you were intrigued by his unending kindness and selflessness.

If it's him by my side...

You stopped your wishful thinking as soon as it started. He'd already aided you so much -- it would be rude to ask him to do so anymore. And your request would lead him into danger... You didn't wish that upon anyone, especially Tanjiro.

"Welcome back."

"Congratulations."

You looked up. The voices belonged to the two girls in the flower kimonos.

"Being safe and sound is better than anything else."

Besides you and Tanjiro, three others were present, having passed the Final Selection. Falling-boy had not made it. Instead, there was a cowering boy with vibrant, yellow hair. He was mumbling an endless string of 'I'm gonna die's. Next to him was a boy with a large scar next to his mouth, and a beautiful girl who had gone mostly unscathed.

The next half hour whizzed by. Your brain was jumbled, and wouldn't focus properly.

They talked of the ten ranks, your Nichirin Swords, companion crows (a sparrow for the coward boy). The bird rested lazily on your head, since you let it. What snapped you out of your daze was the boy with the gruesome scar on his face. In a frenzy, he had shoved his crow away and grabbed the hair of the white-haired kimono girl.

"WHAT I WANT IS THE BLADE!" he shouted.

"THE BLADE OF THE DEMON SLAYER CORPS! THE 'BLADE OF COLOR CHANGE!' GIVE IT TO ME-"

You narrowed your eyes.

Scum.

You snatched the boy's arm.

You weren't surprised at the fact that Tanjiro had done the same.

"Let go of her this instant!" Tanjiro ordered. "If you don't let go, I'll break your arm!"

"Huh?! Who are you- aaAARGHHH!!"

Before Angry-boy could finish his sentence, your hand tightened around his arm.