* f o r t y - f i v e *

• • * • • * • • * • •

"Come back to me, (Y/n).

Come back to us.

Please."

The sweet, melodic voice you cherished so dearly was wracked in agony.

The void you wandered in endlessly was devoid of light. Loneliness and emptiness conquered.

But his echoing and distorted words brought a bit of comfort, if only for a fleeting moment.

It is my fault that his voice is so pained, and yet... I'm happy he worries for me.

You gave a bitter laugh. How selfish.

Though, you had already accepted your selfishness a long time ago, in choosing to stay by his side.

With a long sigh, you sheathed your sword.

Hah... so tired.

The techniques of your family's prized legacy, the Breath of Snow, felt powerfully ingrained into your mind and body, down to your very bones.

And as you put away your blade to retire, a flash of color caught your eye.

Pressed against the glassy lake upon which you stood

was a worn, scarred, and calloused hand.

You knelt down and pressed your forehead to the surface and cast your eyes to what was below.

Tanjiro had touched his own forehead to yours,

yet he was so painfully far away all the same.

You pondered what to say to this Child of Brightness.

Don't forget me
or
Be happy without me
?

Just where did your selfishness end?

But you needn't say anything, for he spoke up first.

"...I'll see you later."

Those words resonated clearer than ever in the vast expanse of nothing.

Your heart ached in your chest, and you hesitated. Did that mean he wasn't giving up? Or would he abide by Ren's wish?

Well, no matter. There was nothing you could do.

'I'll see you later,' huh?

You smiled at his simple words.

"I'm sure the me on the outside will grow to love you as I have.

So don't keep her waiting."

• • * • • * • • * • •