Chapter 3

The only sound in the deserted store was the occasional flip of Spencer's magazine. Ryan doesn't understand why Spencer, somebody who doesn't own a skateboard,(let alone know how to ride one) is reading the newest "Thrasher" magazine. But decides not to question him on it.

The bell chimes. Ryan's head shoots up.

Brendon walks in for the seventh day in a row. A week has passed and "Ronnie's Records" has become Brendon's newest habit. In the time he's spent there, Ryan has learned quite a bit about the boy. For starters, his last name is Urie. He ran away from his family, who are practicing mormons. His mother is Hawaiian. He suffers from ADHD and he's trying to make it in the music industry as a guitarist.

Join the club. Ryan had remarked.

"Brendon!" Spencer puts down the magazine and goes for a high five. Brendon smiles brightly and responds,

"Spencer, what's up man!"

Ryan extends his arms and smiles when Brendon fills up the space between them. He doesn't notice Spencer's knowing look from the door.

"Alright, dude what's up?" Ryan says after they pull away, missing the contact already.

"Nothing much, I just officially moved into my apartment though," Brendon says shyly.

"That's great man!" Spencer says, walking towards them.

"How are you gonna pay rent dude?" Ryan responds concerned.

"Oh, I got a job at the "Smoothie Hut" in town," Brendon nods and a pause that lasts a second too long falls on the room but is soon interrupted by a gasp from Brendon. The kind of gasp of someone who remembers something they've forgotten.

"Oh, and my roommate," Ryan feels something like jealousy slap him across the face, "Jon. Walker. He's really nice, kinda like my older brother in a way ya know,".

It clicks.

"Oh, I know Jon, he works at the coffee shop off of Winchester road," Ryan replies, remembering the warm man he saw only a couple of hours ago. Spencer gives Ryan a curious glance but he goes on,

"He's a little old looking though,"

Spencer feels left out, like he too needs to know this Jon Walker guy.

"Yeah, Jon, he's 23, but completely harmless,"Brendon smiles as if the very thought of the man brings him joy. Ryan gets back-handed.

"Where is it?" Spencer asks.

"Like four blocks from here actually," Ryan and Spencer nod.

"I actually came here to ask if you wanted to go bowling tonight? Maybe Spencer could meet Jon?" Brendon asked blushing lightly.

Ryan and Spencer exchange a look.

"We're in," they say out of unison. An awkward giggle escapes Ryan's mouth.

"What time?" Spencer says, legitimizing the plan.

"Oh, can you guys do eight?"

"Yea," Ryan says. He pays closer attention to Brendon in that moment, he's wearing a different cologne than he usually wears. And he looks worn out.

"Okay, well I should get going now Jon usually gets home around four so," Brendon turns around and stops in front of the door.

"See you at eight," he waves.

"Yea," Spencer scratches the back of his neck and sniffles. Ryan gives a small wave.

It was 7:43 when Spencer turned the music down and spoke,

"Ryan,"

"Yes Spencer," Ryan smiled.

Spencer hesitated. He had noticed a change in his friends behaviour recently, and his mood wasn't something he wanted to interfere with but, the last time this happened Ryan nearly died.

"Listen man, you know I love you-"  Ryan chuckled and turned to his friend.

"Is this a love confession Smith?" Ryan knew what his friend was going to say, but he didn't want the night to be ruined and maybe, if he kept the atmosphere light-hearted, Spencer would drop it. But the look on his close friends face was not at all light-hearted.

"Listen, I'll never know exactly how you've felt in the past few months, but ever since that kid started showing up at the shop, I don't know Ryan, it feels like-" Spencer's voice caught in his throat. Ryan swallowed thickly. "-like I've got my best friend back, and I don't want what happened with your mom to happen ever again Ryan, I can't watch you do that to yourself again." They had stopped at a red light and it blurred from the tears welling up in Ryan's eyes.

"I'm not a fag Spin," Ryan's mouth went dry.

"Okay," Spencer looked at his friend, expecting him to say more, but his jaw was tightened. He was grinding his teeth, he did that when he was uncomfortable.

"But if you were, I wouldn't care," Spencer said softly, as if his words were bubbles on the brink of bursting.

"Well I'm not, so drop it." Ryan snapped. He tasted blood, he must have cut his cheek open.

Neither of the men turned the music up, they drove the rest of the way in an intense silence.

Brendon and Jon had been trying on shoes when Ryan and Spencer entered the small bowling alley. Upon seeing their new friend they both smiled and the tension that was previously pulling the space between them like taffy, dissolved. Jon smiled at Ryan, having seen the man every morning for the past week and gave an equally warm smile to Spencer before extending his hand to him.

The dialogue between the group was standard and to anybody observing, they would have appeared to be very good friends. But in the exchanged looks and touches, the men felt like boys. Like time had mixed and melted and was hardening into the very paths they would follow. Side by side.