chapter seven

| garroth |

           I wonder what Aphmau wants to do today. She invited me over after work, and obviously I accepted. I want to have excuses for not unpacking, and being with friends is the perfect thing to cover up the fact I'm a lazy whore.

          I step up her porch, knocking lightly on the door, knowing that if I knock too loud Katelyn might get irritated. After thirty seconds of no answer, I knock once again, startled by the sudden swinging open of the door.

          "Hey, shorty," I grin, taking my best friend into a tight hug and giving her a platonic kiss on the head. "Come on Garroth! Come on!" Aph whines, gripping my wrist tightly and dragging me inside. I shut the door behind me, and follow her into the kitchen.

          "So, tomorrow is Gene's birthday..." Aphmau bites her lip in excitement, waiting for me to react. Gene was a friend of mine from Sophomore year, but he hurt me badly near the end. I wonder if he's the same Gene as before. "I want to throw him a party, not a large obnoxious party, but just a small get together. And starting, I'd like help making his birthday cake. Dante took Travis to the mall, Aaron and Nana are on a date, and Katelyn is with Cadenza.." Aphmau sighed, listing off why she couldn't get anyone else's help. "So, I was the second choice?" I question, amused. "No. Not at all! That is most definitely not what I intended! I just didn't think you'd want to because of what he did.." She trails off, a hopeful smile on her face.

          "We were in highschool, Aph. I'm not going to let that cause bad blood between us now, not unless he wants that." I answer, placing my hands on the counter behind me and leaning back. "Zane and Vylad were busy?" I ask, changing the subject. "Uh, kind of. Zane is finally sleeping, so I wanted him to get his rest, and Vylad was out picking up Laurance," She explained.

          "Oh, that's dope. I'll be the only blond here," I kid, running a hand through my hair. "You should call them ask them to pick me up a Monster or something," I comment, beginning to rifle through her fridge for the eggs, milk, and butter. "Garroth, we've talked about this," Aph seems a bit more serious. "Fine, fine, I won't drink one today," I groan, setting the items on the counter.

          Just a few minutes later,the front door opens, Vylad's cheerful and familiar voice filling the room. "Hey dudes! I brought some snacks," He says. The front door shuts, and in comes Vylad, holding a bag in one hand, and Laurance's wrist in the other. "You said snacks, implying more than one, but you only have a bag of chips," Aph pouts. "Not true. Look what else I'm holding," Vylad wiggles Laurance's wrist before releasing him from his grip. "Let's get baking," I grin.

          After a few mess ups and Vylad fighting Aphmau for who gets to lick the bowl, the cake was finally done, frosted, and stored away.

          "So, who's all coming to the 'party'?" Vylad asked, joining us in the living room, glass of water in hand. "Dante, Travis, Zane, Lucinda, Cadenza, Kasey, and you guys," Aphmau replies. "Nobody else really wants to come. I'm surprised Zane accepted the invite," She adds quickly after.

          "Woah, woah, I never said I was going," I raise an eyebrow. "I said I would help make the cake, not be there when it's cut," I lean back on the couch, turning to look at Vylad who seemed disappointed with my choice. "What?" "Nothing. Just want both of my big bros there. Please, Gar?" Vylad begs, tilting his head a little, something that always worked on me in high school. "Really, bubba? Fine. I'll go, if it makes you happy," I sigh.

          "So, it's settled, I'll see you all in this living room at seven tomorrow." Aph triumphantly declares. "In the morning? Hell yeah," Laurance sarcastically corrects. "You all know what I mean. Get outta here, nerds,"

        Just as Aphmau had foretold, we all were there, seven o'clock sharp. I wasn't wearing anything fancy, just a pair of joggers and a Marilyn Monroe shirt. There weren't many people in the house, thankfully, so I took this time to sit down and scroll through my phone. Whilst looking down, my hair seemed to want to as well, falling into my face anytime I swept it back. Where was Laurance with his hair ties, again?

          "Hey, blondie," Lucinda smiled, standing in front of me. Her pale skin was so captivating, and I wonder if it was her tendency to nev go outside, or a potion making her skin so flawlessly fair. I had no room to speak, I was just as pale. Her orange hair really made it stand out, though.

          "Hey, Luci, how have you been?" I stand up, taking her into a tender hug. "I've been alright. It's been boring lately, so hopefully something interesting will happen soon," She replies, parting our hug. I really hope nothing interesting happened today, because more than likely, it would involve me. Oh well.

          Lucinda sauntered away, leaving me alone yet again.

          I made my way to the back porch, taking in the crisp air, way different than the humidity of O'Khasis. I probably looked crazy, but this was such a refreshing change from the thick air I'm used to breathing.

          I hear the sliding glass door open and close softly. Someone now stood beside me, fidgeting nervously, before clearing their throat. "Hey, bear," They greeted, their voice soft, and regretting.

          "Hey, Gene. Happy birthday," Short and sweet. Right to the point. "Garroth, I really, need to tell you something. I know that what I did was, unforgivable, and still is. I understand fully, if you don't even want to be associated with me. I can leave you alone, and you can only talked to me when you're forced to by Aph," He laughs at his own joke, as though he's trying to break the tension.

          "To be honest, I was jealous of you, back in high school. My mother already knew I was gay, from the time I was in eighth grade, and I never had the chance to even properly tell her. She found out by eavesdropping on a conversation I had with Dante. Once we started dating, and I realized you weren't out to your family, it made me, angry. Your family was accepting, everyone except for your father, and he seemed changeable. I wasn't thinking of how you felt, I just didn't want to feel alone anymore, so I just, did it.. I know I took something special from you. Something you might have not even wanted to do. I was green with envy. I am not expecting you to forgive me. I just don't want you to look at me and think that I am not extremely sorry for my actions. Thank you for listening, Bear, I'll leave you be," Gene exhaled heavily, glancing at me before taking a step to pivot back towards the sliding door.

          "Wait, Gene.." I start. Oh no. What am I doing!? "Do you really, really mean it when you say you're sorry?" I question. I sound like a fifth grader. "Yes, Garroth, anytime I hear your name I think of how horrible I was to you for doing that," He looks like he's about to cry. I sigh, and take the step towards him that closes the gap between us.

          I cup his cheek and give him a tender kiss on the lips. "Go inside, birthday boy, they're calling you in for cake." I jest, although that was the scenario. "Are you coming?" He asks. "I'll be in, just tell them not to wait for me," I give him a smile. Gene goes back the way he came, and once again, I am in my own sense of peace, feeling a little more tranquility than before.

          I look back up at the sunset, my smile softening as I bask in the autumn warmth of September.