Chapter 6: The Sanctity of the gods

Start from the beginning

His eyes widened in surprise as he stared at me for two seconds. After that, as if he was splashed by cold water, he looked away.

"You easily talk about it because you do not fully grasp the weight of the situation." He blurted out not long after while taking back his hands and putting a good amount of distance in between us.

I can't help but smile bitterly. This guy.. He probably only ever had himself all his life. (I mean, of course he did. I know 'cause I read the novel) Now he's acting like a feral cat interacting with a potential human companion... He doesn't know how to..

"Whether I do or not, only time will tell. But for now what's important is that we both get some good rest and that we regroup in a couple of days to further our progress in procuring the best possible route to pursue." I said as I resigned into leaning back on the cushioned chair, in surrender. It's not like I'm totally retreating, though. (I can't and I won't! Not until I save this genius from madness.. And carve a way for both of our characters to exist peacefully in the future!) I pick my battles thus I understand that trauma can not be resolved in a day. (I was a bit impulsive there.. I momentarily forgot how scarred this guy is after years of isolated sufferings.. How naivé of me to think that a few consoling words can put him at ease... Wait! Is this body's mind affecting my better judgement!? Oh sh*t, it better not!)

I averted my gaze unto the scenery by the window from the carriage as we passed by multiple houses and trees. A brief silence ensued and only the sounds of the galloping horses and the noisy villagers can be heard up until it was already time for me to go down.

In a silent cooperation, he helped me go down by the carriage, a perfect gentleman like before although if one looked closely, there's a noticeable distance and cold air in his eyes this time around.

**

Three days passed but the changes that occured could be counted as once in a thousand years. Magnus and Lisbeth's (my assumed identity) dance made waves in the whole Kingdom of Windsor that even the common folks caught wind about it. (It's as if I'm a celebrity in this world, I still have to get used to this..)

Everyone who witnessed it said it was magical. Most of which even claimed to have seen the gods' presences which is an exaggeration, mind you. All I ever saw was a lilac mist and some lights. Was that it? Of course not. I bet they just wanted to be special and sensationalized news for personal gain.

On the contrary, the Farron estate is seemingly in a state of chaos. They aren't that happy about the news and even the Marquess acts abnormally cranky to other people. Perhaps he hates having a so-called "daughter" of his house going against the Emperor's child? Who knows? At least, that's the only possibility I can see.

Speaking of whom, my so-called "Father", the Marquess also seem to like playing "a worried dad" to me. He acts as if he's genuinely concerned about my well-being (as he continues to ask me to his study, whenever he has free time, just to talk to me about mundane matters) and he even asked my tutors to teach me the fundamentals of magic for self-defense.

Seriously I have to keep an eye on this man. His acting skills are even better than mine.. I know he's doing this to gain my affections and trust so that he and the Emperor can plot against me in the future but damn, this is what you call commitment to the role. If I'm not transmigrated to the novel and have prior knowledge about this stuff, I would've bought his act of a good foster father. (Okay past owner of this body, your naivité gets a pass here. He's a high-class con man and not only were you young and impressionable but you're also fragile at that time due to being emotionally and physically abused in that Baron Lisney's household. No one can blame you.. not even me anymore)

I also received access to the Quentin library which will make my job twice as easier. I can finally learn more than what my tutors teach me (which is a great privilege because women are rarely allowed here. This time and age is truly infuriating! Does being a woman here meant having less aptitude than men? I kinda get now why in my past life there were extremists in feminism.)

Also right now, I forgot to mention that I'm currently in the said library waiting for my fiancé who have been absent these past three days doing God-knows-what. He finally decided to see me after that semi-awkward ride back home, huh?

I sighed to myself. I can't blame him.. I was too assertive that time despite my better knowledge and judgement. I can't put my finger on it yet but it's probably just because that's what I truly wanted to say to him since he's been so nice to me, saying he's my shield and all.. (After these past few days, I can truly say that I am not partially possessed by the past-body's spirit.) I just became sincere because he is. Which reminds me, he's a paragon afterall.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting." I heard a gentle voice to which I turned around only to find Magnus who's wearing a black and white prince outfit adorned by gold, swarovski diamond and ruby rhinestones. This suit.. Wow my future husband is so...

I can feel my heartbeat picking up speed..

His handsome face had that usual melancholic feeling in his eyes but somehow he exuded a death-like air that made him seem as if he just barely escaped death

His handsome face had that usual melancholic feeling in his eyes but somehow he exuded a death-like air that made him seem as if he just barely escaped death. In a panic and sudden guilt, I searched his body for any possible parts with injury. Soon, I saw his fore finger and his palm extending to his arm bandaged haphazardly over his beautifully tailored clothes.

What the hell happened? I stared at him for a while but he doesn't seem to budge. His eyes won't even meet mine. He's definitely hiding something!

"My Lord, it was not that long and I endured no grievances whilst waiting here. On the other hand, have you been well? It seems to me that you just encountered danger." I asked straightforwardly.

"There is no need for my Lady to think of such trifles. However it would do you better to observe proper etiquette." He stoicly said in a cold voice.

How can I forget? This man is a villain and has a tendency to shut people out his business by taking away their life. I instantly felt my legs weaken and my forehead break to a cold sweat. Being with him is like lying beside a Tiger. "I apologize, My Lord. Please let me properly greet you." I bowed despite my weak posture "Good day, My young Lord."

He didn't let me stand for a while. It's been five minutes and I can already feel my legs and back giving out any second now. This body's constitution is really bad.

After a decade (it felt like it, don't come at me!), I finally heard him say something.

"You may be at eas-- Lisbeth! Watch your..."

I'm not sure what happened but somehow what I last saw was Magnus' panicked face as he hurriedly went in my direction. By that time, I felt my lids getting heavier, his warm hand on my waist as I was taken out by unspeakable fatigue.