17: The End of Big Madame

All you could watch was the arena. The cameras didn't give you any new perspective. It was clouded with dust from all the destruction.

But then, you heard it.

"Ju--"

"Ma--"

Then the back up arrived. Juuzou shook his head and began advancing towards Big Madame. And Big Madame ran-- not silently.

"Juuzou-chan.. REI-CHAN!!! Help... STOP!!! Are you defying Mama!? Even though I raised you! Do you bear a grudge against your Mama!? Is that it?!! I was only protecting my daughter! Protecting you!"

Suddenly Hanbee sliced off the big kagune.

"It always was so ugly..." You mumbled as you looked mindlessly at the screen.

"Maybe we shouldn't watch anymore..." Itori offered.

"No. I need this. Like Juuzou does."

"Okay..." She was skeptical but kept the television on.

Juuzou now stood in front of the large maternal figure.

"Juuzou! I'll apologize! And I'm going to atone in any way possible too! Don't kill me! I want to meet them... I want to meet my grandchild!" Big Madame screeched.

You squeezed your sleeping baby, almost too hard. Never. Never. Never.

"...Mama... They were only wounds. But they were something from you. All I miss are the wounds... no matter what the people around say about you, I don't bear any grudges against you. I got my ghoulie from you. And from ghoulie, a baby. Then, another baby." Juuzou's voice gave you some comfort.

"Another... but you..."

"You don't need to understand. This is just work."

"You FUCKING BRAT! Let me tell you something! I kept you because your looks were good by chance, you dumbass! Don't get the wrong idea, if you ever think that I EVER loved you then you're--"

And then she was dead. Hanbee had his hands around Juuzou's ears.

"Excuse this rudeness to your ears."

"Goodbye... father."

So he knew too... I don't want to know how... You closed your eyes and relished in the fact that that... monster... was finally dead.

"I hope that they come home soon." You told Itori, emotionless.

"We both do... we both do..." She shut the television off and guided you to the playpen where you laid Yukizou down carefully.

Then, she led you to her bed, where you laid down and felt her spoon you from behind.

"It's okay to cry, YN. It was still your mother. No one would blame you. No one will be mad at you for missing the only thing you knew."

"If I was going to cry, it would be for me... for Juuzou..." You whispered. "We're the victims."

"You're the survivors. And you're making a damn good life out of it." She assured you.

"How do you always know what to say?" You asked her, settling into the pillow.

"All ghouls have a sad story. Half-ghouls included. But at least you have a quarter and three-quarters ghoul that won't. Kyou and Yukizou have good lives because of you."

"What's your sad story?"

"You know, it's been so long that it's not really sad any more. Just a lesson learned."

"Is that why you only make friends with weird people?"

"Go to sleep."