14. Polishing Glass

Start from the beginning

Then, she groaned. "I can't remember the last time I was that drunk and this hungover."

"Feels like shit, doesn't it?"

"Real shit. So, it's Friday. What are you doing today?" She asked as I heard her shift in her bed probably.

"I have basketball practice almost the whole day after school. We have a really important game tomorrow. What about you? What are you doing after school?"

It felt strange to talk to her like this as if we were best buddies. Admittedly, I didn't mind it.

"Fuck school. I'm staying in bed all day with food and Netflix, " she replied, firmly.

"You're going to skip school?"

"Firstly, school is a waste of my time. Secondly, according to google, a hungover last 72 hours which are far from over, and below there's a list of eight things on how to make a hangover go away. Number one is drinking lots of water and number eight is staying in bed."

"And what about the rest of the numbers?"

"Meh. To lazy to read those. I read the word bed and I had my answer. Thank you google. Appreciate the help."

I rolled my eyes as I felt another grin tugging on my lips.

"Oh and I'll show up at the game tomorrow though," she added.

My brows rose. "You usually show up at the games?"

I had never noticed Hope in the audience during my games. Maybe because I was always either too busy with trying to keep my head in the game or trying to spot Cayden and Maya. I don't know why my eyes searched for them. They just did, I guess. However, knowing Hope, she sure would've made herself awfully noticeable if she ever showed up.

"Nope. Not really. Not in two years. But I thought I could come to show some support to my friend. Plus, our high school spirit is shit. It could use Hope Lance to boost it up a bit."

I rolled my eyes and grinned again. "It's not shitty if the whole goddamn town shows up to watch the game, all fired up and ready blow up in flames either we lose or win."

She laughed. "Flames are good. But they only scare you. Encouragement is what we need, not expectations."

Gazing out the window where the sky was clear and soft clouds were floating by, I smiled a little. "If everyone had the same mindset as you, the world would've been easier to live in."

I could imagine her smile crystal clear in my head. "I know. But like I said, there's nobody quite like me in this world."

"Oh, how right you were," I said, chuckling.

I imagined the wide grin stretching across her face.

"Hey, I seriously owe you big time for taking care of my drunk ass yesterday though," she said with a hint of softness laced to her words.

"It's no big deal. You were a funny drunk so I did end up having more fun than I imagined I would," I replied and immediately regretted it. Hope had a tendency to notice the darkness tucked in between my sentences.