chapter 18-this takes some serious thinking

CHAPTER 18 SECRETS UNLEASHED

   I had searched through the paper work, not only did Halt and Pauline have a daughter, but before Alyss died in that fire, Will and her had a daughter to! And Horace and Cassandra had a son! Cassandra, someone I considered a friend. How did I not know this sooner. Well, I just wonder if the girls will be a diplomat.

   I looked through some of the mail, then discovered something from my father. It had arrived yesterday.

Dear Echo,

I am sorry I had not told you about Holly, I should have told you sooner. But, I couldn't. Pauline said it was my place, for she says you grew more fond of me than her. I was there for you, yet she could not be there. She sends an apology, and I send one as well. Echo, you had only realized that you were my daughter not so long ago, and before that I was scared, frightened even, to tell you. I understand if you are mad. But, I ask of you one thing, Holly is turning fifteen in three weeks, and I think she would like maybe, just maybe, to be told she has a sister by the right person. I am truly sorry I waited this long to tell you, but I wondered if you would see a resemblance between you and her. The reason I had let people know of her and not of you, was because I wanted you to be a ranger. So did Pauline. Holly is going to be her mothers little girl, while you will be my little girl. Please come, it would mean a lot to many people, and maybe Adela can prove herself to you.

love, your father

   And that was the end of the letter. I understood why he gave me three weeks, one week to think, and two weeks two get going. It takes two weeks of traveling through fiefs to get all the way to Redmont. Our fief wasn't to far from the border, nor to close. Redmont was farther away, an estimate of two weeks of travel to get from here to there. If I got lucky, it could only take a week to get there.

   Adela did need a bit of training, our fief was slightly peaceful, only one minor crime a day. I think Adela could take care of herself. I can probably talk to Alex, the battle master, to check on her every day. I just hope I don't lose my temper, or chicken out and not tell her.

   I sighed and got up, holding the letter in my hand. I peeked out the window of the cabin and watched as Adela struggled to chop a log of wood. "Put some muscle into it." I said grumpily, she raised her eyebrow at me, but continued cut the wood, putting a little more power into it.

   I picked up another cup of coffee and opened the door to the cabin, closed it, then sat on the chair outside. I watched as my apprentice did her daily chores, busily running around and hurrying through it. I gave some shouts of encouragement and said things like, "forgot something?" or, "not the first one I saw make than mistake," when she made a mistake.

   It was quite amusing, watching her scowl at me once I spoke. She knew I was only trying to annoy her, but made the mistake of showing that it wasn't helping. Another mistake.

   I sipped at my coffee, still reading through the mail and looking through some paper work. A ranger retired, a warrior died a few days ago, some birthdays coming up. Boring that topped even more boring. This wasn't the exciting thing about being a ranger, the excitement was in the action. And so was the drama, literally everything to being a ranger was in the violence. The chaos we brought where ever we went. It was fun, but the paper work and stupid mail we got was a gigantic bore.

   I sighed, then thought about my sister. About one of my friends sons. About one of my friends daughters. I thought about Kiera as well. I thought about all of my friends, all of the rangers, all the people in my fief I could let down every day. There may be some group similar to the outsiders, come along and turn this fief into havoc. And I wouldn't be there to stop them. I would be in Redmont.

   I shook my head. Things like that didn't happen a lot here, just the occasional drunk guy trying to bash someone in the head with a heavy stick. Or maybe just some poor guy who had gone insane, or someone who had been run my greed and selfishness gone to steal somethin'. Nothing major happens here, which is why I think Crowley sent me here. I thought of when I was first assigned to Brunland fief, the one I am assigned to now.

   I was at the annual ranger gathering, sitting beside Halt and Simon, my mentor. Crowley had announced that Walker, one of the rangers, was retiring. He was slightly known through the corps, for most of the rangers knew each other. I knew him, and he was so nice to me. He usually tested the first year apprentices at the gatherings, which was including me.

   But, that also meant that his fief was open. Brunland fief. I wanted it, I was currently assigned to Seacliff, and it was so boring. Nothing happened at all. It was quiet, no action. But at least Brunland had something every now and then. I crossed my fingers under the table, then closed my eyes and wished silently.

   I heard Crowley call my name, and I felt like the happiest girl here, considering I was the only girl here. I got up and saw Halt smiling up at me, actually smiling. I grinned down at him and walked over to Crowley. I was so happy, I felt like jumping up and down while squealing. But, it didn't seem appropriate considering I was surrounded by boys right now. I was happy.

   Then I decided something, if Holly was anything like me she would be currently misserable. I was always miserable when I was younger. Maybe, by coming to her choosing she would become happy by the thought of having a sister. Or maybe excited that she would be able to share some secrets with someone besides her mother and father. I had made a decision, I was leaving for Redmont in the morning.