16. King Bonding

I gasped, surprised, opening my eyes. "What the hell?"

Wrythe came over and helped me stand. "What is it, Alice? You've only been lying there a few minutes."

"Impossible." I glanced at the faces of the Society members, then over at the slab where Kade was supposed to be. "Where is he? Did he already pass his test?"

"He's gone," Wrythe said, his face a mask of malice. "What happened, Alice?"

"I—" I wasn't sure. Had I only been dreaming?

"It's okay, dear." One of the female Society members came over. She smelled like stale booze and tainted blood.

"I don't think it is." I went to the door. "I need to find the other trainees."

"Wait," Wrythe said.

But I opened the door and ran and ran and didn't stop until I reached the workout room, hoping against hope they would be there training. But they weren't. "Dammit. They aren't here. It was real."

"Alice!" Wrythe rushed into the room. He glanced around, seemingly feeling the emptiness like I did.

I froze. "Your highness." I bowed my head.

"Tell me what you saw while in the trial." He came forward until we were nearly toe to toe. The man was so tall and so big and so freaking handsome.

My shoulders slumped. "It's... painful."

His features softened. "I have a feeling you know why the trainees are gone?"

"I think so." I told him about following the rabbit, meeting the Devil, and what he said.

"You spoke with him?" It was strange, the look on his face, almost as though he was awed by what I'd done.

His expression bothered me. Being near the Devil had been painful and I wanted to enlighten him, but I didn't know how to explain the magnitude of the powerlessness I felt in the demon's presence. It'd been beyond frightening and the trepidation still lingered.

"Yes." I pushed passed him unable to fight the need to find and slaughter those six demons. "And my—" I almost said friends, but that wasn't true. They were people I'd known for years. We'd trained together, lived together, and eaten together. They were the closest things I had to family. But I hadn't let them in. Not really. They knew my favorite weapons and my moves, but I hadn't let them know who I was. Hell, if I thought about it, I doubted I knew. "He's got them and he's going to kill them unless I kill their demon sires." I went over to the weapons rack and grabbed what I needed—a katana, a gun, and several knives. I tucked them into their spots, the blade on my back, the gun in its holster, and knives hidden everywhere.

Wrythe rose to his full seven feet and crossed his arms. "If the damn Devil can break his one and only rule, then I'm going with you."

That surprised me, but I didn't have time to completely consider it. "Are you sure? You're the King. I have a feeling there are those who won't appreciate you putting yourself in jeopardy."

"She's right." Peter walked in. "Whatever you're planning to do, I don't think it's a good idea." He gave me a once over. "You don't look too good."

I snorted. "Thanks." I started for the door, but Peter grabbed my shoulder.

"What's going on?"

I didn't want to have to explain myself again.

Wrythe seemed to sense my frustration. "Get your gear. I'm ordering you to come with us. I'll explain on the way," Wrythe said as he loaded up on weapons.

"Yes, Sire." Peter didn't seem convinced, but he wasn't one to question the King. So he grabbed two katana swords, a double set of Colt 911's, corresponding ammo, and several knives.

I watched quietly, unable to say anything while I waited. The reason was simple. I was freaking out. What the hell was I doing? I went to the door and stopped. My eyes found Peter's then Wrythe's before settling on the floor. A drop of blood stained the surface, its coloring no longer bright red but burgundy. In that moment I knew blood would be spilt, probably my own, and most likely at least some of the trainees'. How could I save them all? I didn't know whether I had the stamina and necessary power.

"Alice?" Wrythe asked.

"I have no clue where to begin," I blurted. Desperation and gloom closed in, weighing me down.

Wrythe grabbed my shoulders, spinning me to face him. "Let's go up into Wonderland. Above ground there aren't protective wards keeping demons out like we have down here and I have a feeling that the moment the demons can sense you they will come for you. We won't need to go looking for them."

I nodded, swallowing nervously. That made sense. Besides, I didn't have any other ideas. "Are you positive you want to come?"

Wrythe cracked a smile. "Of course I am. It's been a while since I was in the thick of an actual battle, but I'm ready." He looked over at Peter. "You?"

"Hell yeah." The warrior's eyes sparked with anticipation.

"Well then lead the way," Wrythe said.