4. The Mad Hatter

Start from the beginning

I glanced up at him. "Peter, what is it?" I followed his gaze. There was a man walking along the outskirts of the club, like a cougar, he hunted for something. Or someone, I thought and immediately froze. He looked like the actor from a movie we'd just watched about an alien superhero. Thor, my mind said.

He was tall, with bulging muscles straining against an expensive suit. The man had long blond hair that he let hang free and he wore a ring that glittered against the lights on his left middle finger.

Who are you hunting? Before I finished thinking the question, I knew the answer. He was an Envy demon, which meant he was here for Eric.

"Peter, he's a demon."

"I know." He faced me. "Calmly go over to the group and tell them to head back to our spot."

"And what are you going to do?"

"I'm going after it." His dark eyes shimmered with anticipation. "Do as I say."

I jumped into action, walking too quickly. When I realized, I slowed my pace, keeping my heart rate even, in case he the demon was listening.

"Alice, glad you could join us," Leif said, reaching out to hug me.

I sidestepped him and went over to Wendy and Eric.

"Alice, what is it?" Eric gave me a questioning glance.

"He's here. Your demon sire." I figured it was best to get straight to the point.

"No, he can't be," Wendy said, but I smelled the immediate fear on her.

"It's true. We need to go. Peter wants us to meet at the garage. Help me gather the others."

"No, if he's here for me, I have to stay and fight. I can't put anyone else in danger." As Eric spoke he looked at Wendy and I saw the raw love he had for her.

I reached out and touched Eric's arm. "That's honorable and I know that's what we've been trained to do, but you aren't prepared. You have no weapons. We should do as Peter said. Regroup and then we can help you go after the demon."

"Dammit." He slammed his fist into the table, causing it to crack.

"What's wrong," Leif asked, standing.

"Envy demon. He's here for Eric. We need to take off." I searched the perimeter for the demon and easily found him. He had his slimy hand on a supermodel tall, blonde girl. They were talking. She started to head toward the exit when the demon looked directly at me. His dark eyes seemed to pierce through my body. Then he smiled. If I hadn't known what he was I might've been taken in by his easy manner and charm. Instead I grabbed Leif's arm and shove him toward the exit. "Hurry."

Without effort, the demon jumped on a table, scaring the supermodel and the others around her. His nails grew long, like pointed claws.

People began to scream.

We pushed toward the exit. I searched for Peter as I moved, wondering where he'd gone. The demon leaped from the table he stood on to the table our group had been sitting at only moments before. He picked up a drink and chugged it down. Then threw the glass into the mirror behind the bar, causing it to shatter. More people screamed. Several bouncers headed toward the demon. His smile grew bigger.

"This is my favorite part," I heard him say. It wasn't that he spoke loudly, but that his words seemed to pierce my insides. The table split in two but he was prepared and landed gracefully.

I shuddered with fear, but also with exhilaration. I'd never seen a royal demon up close. I'd seen plenty of Dark Moths and it was true that we all possessed the same powers as our demon sire, but we looked human. And while the demon tearing through the bouncers at the club appeared human when he wanted to, it was obvious that was not his true form.

So what did he look like?

"Alice," Leif yelled. Everyone was at the exit and they were waving me over. But I didn't feel right about leaving those in the club to die.

I took the knife from my boot and ran toward the Envy demon. My pulse quickened. I was impatient to fight. But before I reached him, someone pulled me back.

"What do you think you're doing?" Peter hissed in my ear.

"Protecting the humans," I said, keeping my focus on the demon.

"No. Get out."

"I won't," I said.

The demon noticed us and stood, though he didn't come over. "I won't fight you, girl. I'm here for the one called Eric." He slashed through a bouncer and shoved anyone in his way until he was directly in front of Peter and me. So close, he appeared to be over eight feet. "Besides, your sire would kill me if I laid a finger on you." He pointed one of his claws in my face. "But oh, I'm tempted. You are luscious." His voice was gravelly, not quite garbled, but it sounded like English was not his first language. "As for you," he turned to Peter. "I can lay as many fingers on you as I want." His clawed hand reached out to grab Peter's neck.

Without thinking, I cut off the demon's hand.

He roared, bringing his bloodied wrist into his chest. "Evil child. I look forward to the day when your sire comes after you. I'll be an enthusiastic spectator for your death."

"Who is he?" I shot back, desperate for answers.

He gnashed his teeth, held out his arm, and I watched his sleek, clawed hand regrow before my eyes. "Tell Eric I'm coming for him." He cackled gleefully. "Let the games begin." He jumped into the air. It looked like he would go through the roof, but he vanished.

 It looked like he would go through the roof, but he vanished