With Gandalf still wondering at his horrible luck as they ventured to leave he wished Thranduil farewell. "Farewell! O Elvenking! Merry be the greenwood, while the world is yet young! And merry be all your folk!"

Thranduil rose an eyebrow, and Gandalf thought he saw a hint of amusement. "Farewell! O Gandalf! May you ever appear where you are most needed and least expected! The oftener you appear in my halls the better I shall be pleased!" The return greeting left Gandalf feeling slightly guilty and now confused as to what Thranduil really thought of him.

Bilbo, however, had something yet to say. "I beg of you," he said stammering slightly. In all truth the Elvenking still frightened and awed him at the same time. As he had stood in the Elvenking's guard during the battle, he had seen Thranduil in full battle array, and could not quite get the image of his swords flying out of his mind. "To accept this gift!" He finished and brought out the necklace of silver and pearls Dain had given him.

"But that is yours!" Thranduil said. "What claim do I have to such a gift, O hobbit?"

"Well, er, I thought, some due was owed you. I took a lot of your food and drink while I roamed your Palace, and I always meant to repay it. I am not a true burglar I guess, but there." Bilbo said.

Almiel, who was within earshot, looked over. "I thought I gave you leave to eat what you will." Thranduil cast a glance at her. Of course I felt him. She told him. But I knew you would react exactly like you did, so I gave him food. He was starving. Thranduil sighed.

"If my daughter gave you such leave, then her word is as good as mine. This is yours." He said handing the necklace back to Bilbo.

"No, keep it, keep it!" Bilbo cried. "I cannot keep such a gift, and you will have better use for it. I still feel in your debt and I would feel much better if you kept it." Thranduil seemed amazed at the small Hobbit.

"If only there were more who did not care for riches, then the world would be a better place." He told the hobbit. "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Mangnificent! And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)," Thranduil added with an amused smiled, "Farewell!"

"Come Master Baggins, we have a long road ahead of us." Gandalf said.

As they rode away Bilbo glanced at the woods as the rode along the edge. "Gandalf, why did you call it greenwood? It did not look so green to me, and I have heard Mirkwood as its name since I heard of it."

"Yes, tis a tragedy. It used to be Greenwood." Gandalf said sighing. "But I do think it might yet be green again! Ah, the Elves will be in a merry mood for a long time! Thinking on it, perhaps I will have to return soon. Thranduil might yet break out the best once more. His feasts are truly a great thing to warm the spirits."

"We saw one, at a distance anyway."

"Yes, tis a shame you interrupted it the way you did. The feasts of Thranduil are legend, dear hobbit! Ah… but perhaps I am not as welcome as he made it seem." Gandalf ended sighing. This left Bilbo to ponder the mystery behind Gandalf's words (to which he would be left wondering for a very long time) and Gandalf to ponder the mystery behind Thranduil's farewell (which would also leave Gandalf himself confused for an equally long time)…

*

Thranduil watched the hobbit and Wizard leave, and then moved his people forward once more. Almiel rode up next to him.

"I am quite proud of you. You finally managed to see what was right." He looked at her warmly.

"I have you to thank for that, despite the fact that I hate your particular method. I swear I did not think I would ever have someone who matched me, yet I found that in you. I suppose I am proud it was you, and not someone not of my bloodline. I have comfort in that at least."

"You should not have had a daughter if you did not want someone to nag at you."

"Well," Thranduil started, "my experience with Legolas certainly did not help. Stubborn he may be, but he has more of his mother in personality though he looks more like me. You may have her eyes, but you are much to like me for your own good." Almiel smiled.

"You mean your own good?" She teased.

"Probably," Thranduil agreed.

"What do you mean I'm more like mother?" Legolas asked, riding up on Thranduil's other side.

"Exactly what I said."

"Well… we shall see." Legolas said riding off. Almiel giggled.

"You might have another problem to deal with." She said.

"Oh well," Thranduil said, "I do not think he can do anymore than you." Almiel then let her mount fall back in line with Haldir's who was still with them. In fact, Legolas had been talking to him whilst Almiel was speaking to her father.

"Why did they insist on taking her?" Legolas asked him.

"Because they thought she would be invaluable. She was, though I would have preferred she stay home."

"Of course, but what did they need her for?"

"To keep the enemy distracted. The real trick was keeping the situation from Saruman. Saruman was quite confused."

"Was she okay? She seems it now but…"

"Not the entire time. What she was doing was basically the same as killing the Orcs themselves. Orc or not, she felt horrible the same. Other than that she was fine though. I made sure of that."

"I knew you would, which is why I was relieved when I learned you were there." Legolas said.

"Well… what am I here for?" Haldir answered smiling slightly. But even though he smiled, Almiel's former words of him being only there to keep her alive for an eventual sacrifice were haunting him as, much as he wanted to deny it, they could be very near to the truth.

When Almiel dropped back, he smiled at her. "Leaving him again?" He asked.

"No, only as far as the five yards now between us."

But you will leave him again. Haldir said in her mind, now serious. She looked at him surprised.

What do you mean by that?

I feel it even now. Though you may not run off, you know something. Something you are not telling me. You are nervous, and you are wondering when you will end up leaving.

I am not leaving soon.

It depends on what you mean by soon. Haldir responded.

(sigh) You are right. I will not tell you though… not right now. Later perhaps… Almiel paused. I am not leaving now, however, and for now we have the present.

Indeed.