Part 85

"Guys," Dominic called from the stairs as we made our way down.

"In here," I heard a familiar voice answer from the kitchen.

"Preston's here," I asked in a hushed voice.

Dominic squeezed my hand, "Yes."

I saw the worry on his face, but I squeezed his hand back in a sign of reassurance.

As we stepped off the last stair I felt my heart start racing at the thought of all of his siblings being in one place—here, ready to meet me, some again, some for the first time.

I guess Dominic could sense my apprehension because he paused and looked down at me before giving me a smile and dropping his voice to a whisper, "They already love you. There's nothing to worry about."

I nodded and took a deep breath as we walked around the stairs and into the kitchen.

My eyes immediately fell to Preston's and his to mine, and then to Dominic and I's joined hand.

"Genevieve," he murmured.

"Preston," I greeted back lightly.

"Good to see you again, Princess," Katherine teased with a smirk.

I felt my face turn red, "Katherine."

Beside Katherine sat the other two brothers, both sharing the same dark hair and amber eyes as the rest of their siblings.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you," the older of the two spoke first, "I'm Elijah, this is Nathaniel."

His voice was just a bit lighter than Dominic and Preston's voices, but still deep all the same.

"You as well," I stated.

The men all looked like slightly younger carbon copies of the one before them. They were all insanely beautiful and I shuddered at the thought of how I would've acted with them all being here if I hadn't been in love with Dominic.

I cleared my throat and also tried to push away the redness that stained my cheeks, "Sorry, uh," I took a deep breath before finishing, "Thank you all, so much for helping to find me and bring me back. Thank you for helping your brother and," I looked into Preston's eyes, "Thank you for putting your differences aside for me."

He nodded.

"It wouldn't have been possible without me," Elijah smirked and I sighed because, of course, it was the famous Blackstone smirk.

Katherine popped the back of his head, but Dominic chuckled beside me, "You did come in handy, Elij."

I looked over at Nathaniel now, noticing that he hadn't said one word yet so I decided to engage him, "Thank you, Nathaniel," I said lightly.

I saw his cheeks tinge pink, "I didn't really do much."

He must be shy, though I couldn't see why. Living with a family like he had, so confident, so sure of themselves, it was hard to think that he might think less of himself.

He looked like how I imagine Dominic would've looked at 23, just with less facial hair and slightly longer head hair.

"You gave us great moral support, Nate," Dominic encouraged proudly.

"Thank you for supporting everyone then. It means a lot," I smiled genuinely.

Just then, in the silence, my stomach growled loudly again.

I heard Dominic chuckle before wrapping his arms around me and kissing the side of my head, "Time to feed the princess."

My eyes fell to Preston and a pained expression passed over his face before he excused himself to the bathroom.

I turned in Dominic's arms and gave him a quick reassuring kiss before pulling away and following after Preston.

"Hey," I called softly as he walked up the stairs.

He stopped but didn't look back.

When I reached his step I put my hand on his arm and squeezed lightly, "I wanted to give you a personal thank you. I know coming together and working with Dominic probably wasn't easy for you, and for you to put aside your feelings even after we... just... thank you, Preston."

He turned to me, his jaw clenched, "I didn't think it would be so hard to see you with him, to have heard you last night with him."

My cheeks reddened, "I'm sorry, Preston. I'm not meaning to... to rub in your face or anything."

He reached out and gently pushed a small piece of hair behind my ear before smiling sadly, "I know, Kitten. I respect your decision, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. I'm a grown man though, so I'll get over it, and you in time."

I nodded with a small smile, glad we were able to get this closer that we needed.

"Maybe in another life we could've worked out but..." he whispered.

"But not this one," I finished for him.

He pulled me into his chest and I wrapped my arms around him, breathing in his familiar and comforting scent.

There was one point when I thought this man would be the man for me and I was remembering the old saying 'people come into your life for a reason'...what was his?

Was it actually my mission to bring him and Dominic closer together? I shuddered at the thought that my 'destiny' was to be taken, but I was happy to have helped patch up the disconnect between the two brothers.

When he pulled away he held onto my hand for a moment longer before whispering, "I'm sorry I hurt you."

I shook my head lightly, "It's okay. I forgive you. I acted horribly while we were... 'together' and you definitely didn't deserve it and for that I'm sorry, truly, I am."

"We both hurt each other so we're both even now. How about we just leave it at that and go our separate ways," he asked as he backed away from me.

I took a deep breath and then nodded, "That sounds good."

He nodded once with a small smile and continued on.

I watched him walk up the stairs and figuratively out of my life. I felt bad for how things played out between us, but not for the lesson it taught me.

No one is perfect; everyone has flaws, but some are better at hiding them than others.

His was the fact that he couldn't straddle the line between soft and cruel, with mine being my absolute attraction and love for Dominic. I knew it clouded my vision and made me forget all my inhibitions, but that realization was what ultimately made my decision easy.

There would never be anyone who made me feel like Dominic Blackstone could. There would be many who tried, but only one would ever succeed.

"You get everything sorted out," I heard his soft but deep voice at the bottom of the stairs. I hadn't realized that I was still standing in the same place Preston had left me.

I looked down at the greatest love I will ever have and smiled, "Yeah, no more miscommunications or misunderstandings."

I glided down the stairs with a pep in my step as he spoke in the light but husky voice, "And?"

I crashed my lips to his and placed my arms around his neck, his moving around my waist to pull me flush against him, "And I still love you and I still choose you. I always will," I whispered against his lips.

"Always," he asked and I heard the smirk in his husky voice.

"Always," I murmured and kissed him again.