Chapter 5

"Do you have a hard on?" Alex was saying and I wished very badly that this was all part of my dream. I could feel my eyes were still glazed over, and my body was hot and sticky with sweat, my shirt clinging to my back. I didn't answer him. I couldn't answer him. All I could do was stare, stare at those pink pink lips, those bright eyes and that soft hair. Before I regained full control of my body, I leaned up and pressed my lips to his, lingering for a few seconds before dropping my head back onto the pillow and closing my eyes, wanting nothing more than to forget the sweet sensation of those soft lips, so plush and ready for me. I was going to torture myself like this, thinking about it. How could one little kiss have so much control over me?

"Cal...?" Alex whispered. I didn't answer. I didn't move. I hardly dared to breathe. I kept my body frozen under the covers, and listened intently. "Are you asleep?" He asked. I didn't acknowledge him. I tilt my head slightly to the side and shuffled it into the pillow a little, still pretending to be asleep. He continued to stare at me for a few minutes. I was very tempted to open my eyes, to see what he was looking at, to question him. But then he moved, and I kept frozen. He rested his head on my chest, wrapping an arm around my torso. Instinctively my arm wrapped around him and my head tilted the opposite direction to face him.

Alex was going to be the death of me.

___

Alex's POV

I wanted to bring it up the next morning, the kiss. That was most definitely not what I was expecting to happen last night when I woke up to my best friend moaning and with a hard on. Suddenly a thought doused me with freezing cold water. What if he was dreaming about Daisy? What if he was, you know, getting it on with her in a dream, and he just got too excited. What if they kissed when they were at the movie last night? What if he mistook me for her. I was going to drive myself crazy with these thoughts.

I felt him stirring next to me, and I rose quickly from his chest, heading over to his drawers. We do have our own separate rooms, but honestly, I hardly sleep in my bed. I usually wore his clothes too. Which surprised other Alphas when they first meet me. Because I have my smell, but I also smell faintly of my Beta. I wonder what they think of it? Do they think we're together? That thought sends a thrill of excitement down my spine, and I quickly stomp the idea into a little ball of nothing. There can be no hope for that, not when I know he doesn't have a true mate, I know for sure that we will never be together. It killed me inside, but it was the way it was. I had gotten used to the continuous dull ache, with the occasional sharp pang whenever I saw him with Daisy.

The morning passed uneventfully, with Cal acting quieter than normal. I frowned at his odd behaviour, but didn't comment on it, not wanting to bring up what happened last night. That was pure torture. Thankfully it was the weekend, but I honestly didn't feel to great, so after a shower and some breakfast I carried my school bag to my bed and grabbed my laptop, planning on doing a bit of homework. And that's how I spent the day, sitting in the quiet of my room, alone, with just my thoughts.

___

Cal's POV

Today was weird. I definitely remembered last night, and honestly, I don't know how I feel about it. I was just so confused, and that's when it clicked. Alex is my mate. Alex is my mate?? Holy shit ALEX IS MY MATE! I started to panic, not knowing how to deal with this. All our years of friendship suddenly vanished from my mind, and it was like he was a complete stranger. I didn't know how to have a relationship, how to be mates? I didn't know any of that stuff. Let alone with Alex! SO I kept my guard up, not letting my full scent drift off of me. If my friends noticed, they didn't say anything. I kept along with the hand holding, and the soft touches and the inside jokes. On the outside, it was like nothing had changed.