Chapter 4

This chapter is for Haley_Campbel, for motivating me to start writing this again :)

The three of us walk up to the front of the class where the podium stood taunting us. I don't know why I was nervous, I had probably done this a hundred times now, but it was still scary every time. We shuffled our papers around for a few seconds, and quietly figured out who was going first. Someone in the class cleared their throat, clearly becoming impatient, and I had the strangest urge to glare at them. Apparently I was going first, because I ended up standing right in front of our two page story with Daisy clutching to the back of my shirt and Alex was half turned away from the front of the class.

Rude.

I started reading, my voice starting off quiet and steadily becoming stronger. I talked about how Person A and Person B used to date, and how they were very much in love. I talked about how they had cute nicknames for each other, and they would exchange soft touches and shy glances, downplaying their feelings for one another. I read and read and read and before I knew it I was rambling, adding words. I don't really remember much of it, looking back, but Daisy told me I somehow made the story better than it was, adding to it.

Soon, yet not soon enough I made it to the part where Person B and Person C were talking with each other, in the quiet yet loud silence of Person C's bedroom. "What happened between you and A?" C asked after a long pause. She was sure B had fallen asleep, but then,

"What do you mean?" C rolled over to face B, but B wouldn't look at her.

"Why did you two break up?"

B didn't answer. Then she rolled over too to face C. "Because I'm in love with someone else."

C frowned. "When did you figure that out?" She was genuinely curious, A and B worked so well together, and they always seemed like they'd be together forever.

"Right now," B breathed. Before C could register what that would mean, B had leaned forward and pressed her lips to C's. C let out a small gasp, her mouth opening slightly, but B didn't take advantage of that. She caressed C's lips with her own, sending C into a flurry of thoughts.

What was happening? It felt so nice. But what about A? But this felt right. And C couldn't deny herself anymore. She melted into the kiss, and that's how the fell asleep; wrapped around one another and foreheads pressed together, the perfect picture of happiness.

I stopped reading, having reached the end, and Alex had to guide me back to my seat because I was so lost in thought. Why was that last scene so familiar? Because I wrote it? That didn't feel like the reason, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it wasn't that important.

The rest of the day was spent in a haze. I was so distracted I didn't notice I had taken Daisy's hand instead of Alex's until I was staring at both his hands shoved deep into his pockets. He wouldn't look at me. Why wouldn't he look at me?

___

Alex's POV

It hurt, seeing him cozy up to Daisy so easily. I don't know why I was so jealous. He was going to have to pick a mate at some point, I just didn't expect it to be so soon. I thought we'd have more time together, before I lost him to someone else. I cursed at myself. Cal isn't something to be owned, he's his own person, he doesn't belong to anyone except whoever he chooses as his mate, whenever that may be. I sat between Brandon and Jo on the bus home, hardly paying attention. They didn't try to involve me in their conversation, somehow knowing I needed time to think.

What is wrong with me?

Why was I acting like this?

What did it all mean?

I shook my head, knowing the answers to all these questions. Cal is my mate, my true mate. I don't know why I lied to everyone when they asked, maybe it was because Cal said he didn't have a true mate, maybe I knew deep down that I must have been confused, because there is no way he could be my mate if he doesn't have a true mate. That's not how things work. It hurt so much, knowing I couldn't have him, but having him touch me the way he did. When he was reading that story in class today, I started to panic, hoping he wouldn't realize that we were like Person B and C. We had nicknames no one knew, we exchanged soft touches and shy glances and I don't think I could live without him.

I need to let him go, no matter how much it hurts me to think about. I was only going to cause myself more pain if I held onto him. I should have sent him along with River Pack. Seeing him and Daisy together hurt like a bitch, and I was supposed to be one of the toughest Alpha's out there. I don't know how that rumor started, me being one of the toughest Alpha's. I'd be nothing without Cal, my best friend.

The only one I really needed.

But of course I can't tell him that.

I can't tell anyone, ever.

So I shoved it deep down inside of me, never letting it see the light of day, in fear of it becoming too powerful for me to control. God, if the other Alphas could see me now, if they could hear my inner thoughts, it'd be over. They'd know my weakness, and our pack would be wrenched from my grasp. And that's what scared me the most. How weak he made me.

___

Cal's POV

I hadn't realized tonight was the night Daisy and I was going out to the movies. We ended up watching A Dog's Purpose, haha very funny I know what you're thinking. Moving on. It was a good movie, and by a good movie I mean it made me cry, and think about my purpose in life. It made me think about why I  was here, what I was put on this earth to do. Was it to protect Alex? Or was there something more? Currently, my whole world revolved around Alex, which probably wasn't very healthy but I couldn't care less. He meant everything to me.

When we finally got home, Alex was already asleep in my bed. He looked so peaceful, and I almost didn't want to disturb him. But fuck it, it was my bed. I climbed in, pulling the covers up to my chin. Alex rustled around a little but didn't wake up. I swear this kid could sleep through anything.

"Alex," I gasped, the feeling of teeth against my neck turning me on more than I care to admit. He sucked on my neck, most likely leaving dark bruises, letting the world know who I belong to. His hands lingered on my hips, gently massaging them. It felt so good, my brain was turning to mush. His hair was brushing the side of my neck and my face, stimulating me even more.

I was in pure bliss.

His lips moved farther up my neck, finding a spot just below my ear, and he sucked on it, hard. I gasped louder and my hips rolled forwards into his, our groins rubbing together. He let out a low moan, and rolled his hips forward again, breathing heavily on my neck. I groaned this time, low and throaty, the feeling sending maddening tingles running up and down my body. My legs shook, and if it weren't for Alex pinning my body to the wall I'm sure I would have fallen to the ground by now.

His hands found mine, and he pinned my arms against the wall, threading our fingers together. He kept rolling his hips into mine, and I just kept moaning and moaning and moaning. I loved him so much, and I don't know what I'd do without him. I needed him. "Mine," he murmured, bringing our lips together. I opened my mouth greedily, and his tongue swept over my teeth meeting my tongue without hesitation. I needed him, so badly.

He started kissing down my neck again, planting hot wet kisses on all the sensitive spots. He murmured words in between, mostly the word 'mine', and occasionally compliments. My face was on fire, and I couldn't think. I could barely move, I could barely breathe. I needed him so badly. He reached the junction of my neck where it meets my shoulder and sucked hard and bit down lightly at the same time. The sensation of pain and pleasure at the same time was almost overwhelming, and I let out the filthiest moan I could possibly make.

He shuddered at that, and whispered, "I can't hold it back anymore," before biting into my shoulder, marking me as his.

And that's where I woke up. I lay there gasping, and it was a while before I realized Alex was awake too, leaning over me. Woah. I was covered in sweat, and my best friend was cupping my face looking at me concerned. I tuned back in to hear the words, "Do you have a hard on?" Oh man, I wish this were part of the dream too.