I chuckled softly before I plopped myself back against the pillows. I had no intention of falling back asleep. Partly because it took too long to do so. Another thing that had changed about me since my marriage to Stephen. Before him, I usually fell asleep once my head hit the pillow. Now, I spent most of my nights awake. But that wasn't my only reason for not going back to sleep. I knew Lottie needed me.

I knew how badly Lottie wanted to not have to meet Matthew. I can't say that I blamed her. My marriage to Stephen hadn't been based on love. Infatuation, perhaps; but also because of money. Something about him coming into a large sum of money once he married. It was only later I realized that about him. Not to mention that I inherited a fair amount after the death of my father. And being as naive as I was back then about finding someone, it all seemed to have snowballed. No, I didn't wish any part of that on Lottie.

I quickly said my prayers and got ready for the day. I left the braid in my hair from the night before and quickly dressed in clothes that would be deemed acceptable to the outside world, while still being functional for exploring the Highlands. I hadn't seen much of them, having landed in Inverness. But what I had seen thus far looked quite beautiful. They almost looked like they could heal one's soul and part of me wished that they could heal mine. But that seemed too much to ask.

Grabbing the history book from my bed, I stuffed it into my satchel along with Pride and Prejudice and Of Love and War, a memoir by Lydia Woodhull-Tallmadge. The love story of Ben and Lydia was one of my favorites. While I had no interest in my own love story at the moment, I still did enjoy reading others. I loved to read and if we had any time to rest, it might be nice to find a tree and do some reading.

Stumbling out of my room as I pulled my shoes on, I found Lottie waiting for me. Clearly, she hadn't thought I was capable of getting ready without another warning. I shot her a knowing look and she smiled before leading me downstairs. We crept quietly down the stairs, Lottie warning me which stairs to skip because they creaked. Once again, I felt very juvenile, but it was also slightly invigorating.

Lottie must have had the car pulled around already because she led me out the front door where Mrs. Campbell stood with a picnic basket. Mrs. Campbell had been with the Arbuckle family since Lottie was a child. I knew Lottie thought of the woman like an aunt and if I recalled correctly, Stephen had told me the woman was some sort of relation. Truthfully, I too liked Mrs. Campbell. She had certainly been a blessing to me since I had arrived.

If Mrs. Campbell was helping us with our early adventure, she didn't approve of the match Lottie's father was trying to make. Mrs. Campbell hugged each of us before Lottie and I hopped in the automobile. We left the Arbuckle estate just as the sun was beginning to rise and break through the clouds.

Lottie was right.

As she drove, I couldn't help but have my breath taken away by the beauty of a sunrise against the backdrop of the Scottish Highlands. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to take a mental photograph of the sight. I didn't want to forget it. It was the first time I could remember finding something truly beautiful in quite a long time. Honestly, since before my marriage to Stephen. He hadn't meant to dwindle away my joy, but that couldn't have been helped. I opened my eyes and sighed. My heart felt just the tiniest bit lighter than it had in months, perhaps even years.

When we pulled up to Castle Leoch, it wasn't anything like I had expected. Maybe the American in me or I had been told too many fairy tales growing up, but I had expected something grander. Of course, when my mind thought castle, it immediately thought of Neuschwanstein in Germany and Castle Leoch was no Neuschwanstein. The building looked decrepit and run-over. It clearly hadn't been lived in, in some time. Although, it certainly did look fascinating.