She swallowed down an excited squeal and took up an unaffected façade. "I suppose the sentiment is returned."

Pat laughed, swooping in and brushing another kiss to her cheek before returning to his seat. "Ah, now my day is complete."

Helen refrained from commenting on that and instead asked, "It's barely noon; did you have a rough morning or something?"

Releasing a dramatic groan even as he flipped down his sunglasses and directed the car into traffic, Pat replied, "Something like that. I had a man who got to his destination—all the way across town, mind you—before realizing he forgot his briefcase. So, we had to go all the way back to his place and then back again. Exhausting, I tell you."

"At least you got paid." Helen supplied helpfully. She didn't quite understand all the specifics, but she was pretty sure that the ridesharing app Pat was part of was hooked up directly to his bank account, so the money he made went straight into that.

Pat shrugged, and she could feel him passing her a sideways glance behind his shades. "True. But it was more time away from you, and you know how I want to be around you all the time." His tone was entirely serious.

Helen shot up in her seat and stared at his profile for several moments; it took far too long to realize he was joking—his poker face was exceptionally good. Rolling her eyes, Helen huffed. "Yes, I'm sure you're constantly crying and writing love ballads about how much you ache for my presence."

"You caught me." He retorted easily. "I've had to buy stock in handkerchiefs because of you, Helena."

"Isn't that more of a personal problem? I don't think it involves me."

He slapped a hand to his heart, keeping the other on the steering wheel. "Oh! You hurt me so; what magic have I succumbed to, that I let you tear my heart apart?"

"Stupidity," she answered flatly, grinning when she won another chuckle out of him.

"Ah, Helena." He shook his head with clear amusement, "I do miss our scintillating conversations when we're apart."

She eyed him skeptically. "You're laying the compliments on awfully thick this morning, Patterson; should I be worried?"

He passed her a smug smirk and a nonchalant shrug that immediately set her on edge. "I'm not sure, Helena; I guess you'll find out."

"Oh, joy."

***

Helen was a bit surprised by the amount of excitement that filled her limbs when she watched Pat pull Ginger's crate out of the backseat. She'd been looking forward to having a companion, of course, but she hadn't expected such a sudden, overwhelming rush of nervous hope.

She really, really wanted this situation to end well.

By taking care of someone other than herself, she would hopefully have less time to drown in thoughts and memories; moreover, she might be able to sleep without Addy if she had Ginger at the apartment.

"Ready?" Pat's patient voice drifted into her jumbled thoughts, snapping her from them and pulling her attention back to him. He was standing by the elevator inside her building, Ginger's crate held in one hand and his other stretched out to Helen.

Ignoring the brief thought of When did we get inside and how did I not notice? Helen darted to his side and clutched his hand with both of her own.

"Ready," she confirmed, her heart swelling at his proud smile,

"That's my girl," he declared, squeezing her fingers lightly in return and leading her into the elevator.