Chapter 22

A/N: hey everyone... I know its been a while and thanks for being so patient and supportive... Ill try to update more often... I promise...hope you like this chapter...

Day one
"Any changes doctor?"
"Nothing yet Agent David... I want to check on you though...I don't want these stitches to get infected."
"Yes, of course..."
***********************************************************
"How's he Ziva?"
"Nothing has changed yet Jenny...I'm sorry..." they talked through the satellite phone.
"How are you? Tony told me..."
"I'm fine don't worry about me...My wounds are healing well."
"Take care of yourselves Ziver..."
"I will look out for him Jenny...Don't worry."
"Kiss him for me...You have hellos from the whole team."
"Say hi back. I'll see you soon, I'm sure of it..."
***********************************************************
Day two
"I think it's time you wake up Mr... Come on Gibbs I can't stay away that long from you or lady Ziva...We are all worried sick....And Jenny and your dad...She has the baby on the way and she has to go to appointments alone... Did you know she heard the baby's heart beat today? Yeah! For the first time! And you aren't here...The doctor says that in some days she can find out the gender... But she said she doesn't want to know if you are not here... Tony told me...She drove her to the doctor and stayed with her holding her hand... That should be your place Mr. So wake the hell up Gibbs...You are needed here!" Abby monologued sitting with her legs crossed in the floor of her quiet lab that had pictures of Gibbs in the screens. A circle of candles was around her. Tim was leaning on the doorway listening to her and when she stopped with a broken voice and tears running her face he stepped in and hugged her.
"He's gonna wake..."
"I hope so Timmy..."

***********************************************************
"That's it! I'm going over there!"
"Jenny no! I won't let you! You can't travel to Iraq in your state! Give him some time and you'll see he will be up!" Jack tried to change her mind.
"Jenny, Jack is right... I can't let you go! Not in a good conscience. Gibbs will have my head on a silver plate when he wakes up and finds out that I let you go to Iraq. Give him some time..."
***********************************************************
"Doctor, there's a sign of infection over these wounds..." the nurse stated as she redressed Gibbs' wounds.
"Let's start a big dose of antibiotics then."
"Is he going to be ok?" Ziva asked concerned
"Let's hope we caught it in the beginning." The doctor replied.
She held tight to Gibbs' hand as he kept seeing the deep black of the darkness. But now he could spot some white light at the end of the tunnel. So that's where he was heading to the sunny and warm light.
***********************************************************
Day 3
"Doc, he's got high fever. It's 104. I'm scared that the antibiotics don't work."
"Let's give him a bigger dose and I want him bathed in a wet clothe. We have to get that fever down along with the infection or he's gonna become septic.
***********************************************************
He was running... He was nearing the end of the tunnel.
"Run daddy, run!"
"I'm trying Kells... I...am trying..." He was sweaty, and couldn't last much longer but the light was near and he only had about twenty feet to cover to reach his destination.
"I love you Jethro but Jenny needs you! Run back love!"
"I love you too Shannon..." his voice faded as he entered the light.
***********************************************************
He was trying to breathe but it was like something was blocking his airway. His eyes were wide open. His look full of pain and confusion. He tried to take in his surroundings but couldn't. That's when he realized the voices. They were people talking to him. Then his eyes locked with warm brown eyes. He tried to remember. The eyes they seemed so comforting... They were so familiar....He tried to calm down and focus on the voices or better one voice. The one that accompanied the warm eyes.
"Gibbs calm down...I'm here..." she rubbed comforting circles on his palm with her thumb as their hands locked.
He finally could understand his surroundings. He was at a hospital of some short...
"Agent Gibbs can you understand me? Blink if you can" the doctor instructed.
He blinked once.
"I want you to cough as hard as you can on the count of three,alright?"
Another blink.
"One...two...three..."
He coughed and coughed until the vent was out of his system. Instantly he was handed a cold glass of water. He took two long ships, letting his throat appreciate the moisture once again.
"How are you Agent Gibbs?" The doctor asked him after giving him a moment.
"Been...Better..." his voice was raspy and hoarse, almost a faint whisper.
"I'm sure you have. It's your third coma, lasted three days... Do you remember why?"
"I...bomb...Iraqi...Ziva and...Webster!...Where's Ziva?" He rumbled as the memories came flooding back to him.
"Don't panic Gibbs! I'm right here...!" She gave him a warm smile.
The brown eyes! They were Ziva's! That's when he realized that she had her hand in his. He squeezed slightly and looked at her.
"You...'right?"
"Yes I'm just fine! Just a scratch...Now focus on you not me..." he squeezed her hand again and tried a weak smile.
"As I said Agent Gibbs, you were in a coma for three days... There doesn't seem to have been any damage on the brain or your hearing or your eyesight, something that's very positive. However you've got an infection that's spreading. We've started antibiotics and now that you are awake you are going to be transferred to the US tomorrow. You need treatment that we can provide only in the States. We will stabilize you and let you and Agent David go after. Alright?"
"Yes doc...Thank...you..."
"You're welcome! See you in a little bit...Please don't tire him off Agent David..."
"I won't sir..." she squeezed Gibbs' hand again and gave him a warm smile.
"You had as all worried to death!"
"Sorry...'bout that..." he coughed a little.
"Are you in any pain Gibbs? Any discomfort? I can call a nurse." She offered noticing the sweat on his forehead and his pale complexion.
"I'll be...fine...What 'bout your...scratch?" He asked worried.
"A bullet scratched my arm but the doctors took care of it. Some stitches and gauze and I was ready to go! You on the other hand... You'll have some new battle marks..."
"Scars...Battle scars..."
"Yeah, whatever! With her free hand she used a wet towel to swipe the sweat. She then placed her hand on his fore head.
"You're burning up Gibbs! Let me get the nurse!" She went to leave and he used all his force to hold her back.
"I'll sleep...in a minute...How's Jenny?"
"She's fine...the baby's fine... She had the first ultrasound to hear the baby's heartbeat! It's strong and healthy! Your dad is just fine and so are the boys. They are all sick worried especially Jenny...I'm sure they will be relieved to see you back home."
Gibbs gave a small smile. He wanted badly to go home.
"Webster?" He asked more tired than ever.
"Not now Gibbs! I'm getting the nurse and when you become a little better I'll tell you."
He just nodded a bit and drifted off not having heard anything Ziva said.
************************************************************
"His fever is not coming down...We need to send his to the closest hospital ASAP. In Baghdad they can help and you will hopefully be out of this hell in the next two to three days..."
"I don't care how long we are going to spend here Doctor..."
"I know Agent David. I promise you that this is the best solution."
"Then make it happen!" Gibbs was waking up once again only barely understanding what was going on around him. He opened his eyes slowly to see Ziva pacing back and forth staring fixedly in the floor.
Gibbs was feeling awful! It was like he was in a room over 45•C and his body was hurting all over. He greeted his teeth as a Marine and tried to shallow the pain.
"Ziver..." he called in a small voice. Ziva stopped dead in her tracks and shot her head up.
"Gibbs! Finally! Nurse! His awake!" She called the nurse in charge.
"You've been out for at least twelve hours. I was getting worried." Before he could answer the nurse arrived.
"Hello Agent Gibbs. I'm Private Stanley but you can call me Debora. Your fever has risen the last twelve hours and the antibiotics don't seem to work any more. We will send you to a hospital in Baghdad to take care of you and in two to three days if everything goes well you will be home again. I'll clean your wounds now so I'll have to turn you over. Agent David can you please help?"
"Yes, of course." Ziva offered and got close to Gibbs giving him a pitiful smile. They pushed him and turned him over making him wince. Ziva held him steady as the nurse did her job. Gibbs' wounds looked awfully disgusting and they were rather unpleasant for one to watch. So Ziva focused on Gibbs' eyes and watched as the man bit his lower lip. She squeezed his shoulder slightly and he smiled a bit. In less than five minutes the nurse was done and Gibbs back in his place.
"Your transfer is in an hour. In the hospital we have great personnel and more resources to take care of you. You'll be with your wife in no time sir!"
"Thank you Private." He nodded to her.
"I'm going to call Jenny and give her a report. You should catch some sleep..."
"Ziva...Will you...You know..." he fought with words and emotions together.
"Yes,I know Gibbs, I know..." Ziva smirked.
************************************************************
"Ziva! Thank goodness! How's he?"
"He's almost fine... They are getting him to a hospital in Baghdad to help with the infection. His voice is much better and he says hi and that he misses you."
"Did he really say that?" Jenny asked her with an eyebrow raised.
"No...Not in words but he tried to..."
"Is it bad?" Now Jenny's look became from amused to worried and sad.
"Not as much as it looks. He will be alright Jenny...You know him... The doctors said he will be back in two to three days."
"I guess I will have to wait until then....Take care of yourselves Ziva...I mean it..."
"We will...Say hello to the... guys for me..."
"I will..." Jenny gave her half a smile.
************************************************************
In Baghdad
Gibbs slept through transport to Baghdad only waking when he was at the hospital and lied down on a bed. He opened his eyes slowly and found that Ziva was at his side sleeping in another bed.
The lines of worry in her face gone as she slept had disappeared. He smiled despite himself. At that time he noticed that he was feeling a lot better. The nurse came in and noticed Ziva sleeping. She smiled at him.
"How are you feeling Mister Gibbs?" She asked in a lie voice.
"A lot better" his voice was hoarse probably from sleeping too long.
"We have given you a very strong dose of antibiotics. You may feel a little dizzy or tired. But your fever has broken and your infection is subsiding."
"How long since I got here?"
"About eight hours ago. If you continue doing well at this rate in two days you can be off to America."
He nodded his thanks and she left. Gibbs noticed Zivas chest rising and falling and in a few minutes he was fast asleep too.
Two days passed and as the nurse had said Gibbs was finally given the clear to leave for the United States. The trip was long and a doctor had to be with them on the plane.
He was upset with Ziva. He had tried hard to get her to tell him what happened with Webster but she refused every time. She said it was Jenny's instructions not to get him involved. He would have to wait until they arrived to know the truth. He had this gut feeling telling him that Webster had managed to flee and probably was now somewhere in the Bahamas. He would get that son of a bitch no matter what. For that he was sure.
About 15 hours passed and they landed in Washington.
"There is an Ambulance waiting for you sir. They will take you Bethesda." A Marine told him.
"Thank you." Gibbs said sincerely as they rolled him out of the plane into the Ambulance.
Ziva of course never left his side.
"I have called Jenny she is already there with the rest of the team." Ziva informed him holding his hand. She could notice that he was in pain. The long flight, so many days in bed, his injuries, she understood that and she also knew that Gibbs wouldn't admit it even if it was his end. So the only thing she could do was to offer her silent support.
"You should go get checked to Ziver."
"I will Gibbs. Promise"
"Good..."
They arrived at the hospital and he was admitted and guided to a private room. Ziva went in the emergency and after a quick check up the doctor released her. She went to find the team on the waiting room. They were the only ones sitting there. At first she was a bit hesitant fearing how they had coped but as soon as she was noticed by the rest the fear disappeared and became joy and relief followed by a big urge to cry when everyone hugged her. This group hug was the perfect example of how this dysfunctional family worked. They were united and strong supportive and true always there when someone needed a hug or a push in the arse. But they were family.
"I'm glad you're home safe." Jenny said grabbing her by the shoulders. She hugged the Israeli again and whispered in her ear.
"I will forever be grateful for what you did for Jethro. For keeping him company and for caring for him. I owe you a lot Ziva David..."
Ziva hugged her more tightly and let a tear slide down her face. Jenny released her after giving her shoulders a light squeeze. She met Tony's eyes. They were full of worry and relief at the same time.
"What happens with Webster now Jenny?"
"I have Harrison's team on it... they are tracking him and we have reasons to believe that he is in the States as we speak. They are doing their best but they'll need your help if we want to get him and I'm sure that his wants to... you did good Ziva... you couldn't have known..."
Ziva didn't have the chance to answer as the doctor stepped in and told them they could visit Gibbs now.
They were led in him room and Ducky said to leave Jenny and Jack to go in first.
Jenny stepped quickly through the hospital doors of room 244.
Gibbs was lying in the bed popped up by his pillows feeling at last relaxed.
"Hey beautiful..." he greeted her as she walked in the room. Jenny practically ran to him and wrapped her hands around his neck, letting the so long held tears free. Gibbs hugged her back making soothing circles in her back.
"It's okay Jen... I'm okay..." he whispered in her ear.
"Oh Jeth...."
"Shhh... It's okay...." they broke apart a few moments later and they gave a passionate kiss. She sat on the bed and took his hand in hers. Jethro guided their hands on top of Jenny's little bump.
"And how are you doing little one?" He asked in a cheerful voice.
Jenny smiled and whipped her eyes.
"We are both just fine. We are in fact perfect now that you're here..." Gibbs kissed her hand lovingly.
His dad stepped in accompanied by the rest of the team.
"Hey..." he greeted with his half smile.
Abby squealed and ran to hug him. She almost asphyxiated him but Gibbs just laughed.
"I was so worried Mister! Don't you ever do that to us again!"
"I won't Abbs..."
"Why don't I believe that for a moment?"
"Because trouble is the synonym of Leroy." His dad interfered.
"Dad..."
"Good to see you're fine son..."
"Good to have you here..."
Ziva with Tony were sitting at the back of the room, Tony had his arm wrapped around her waist. These two had become very close recently and Gibbs knew that no rule not even he could stop what was coming. It was like him and Jenny. He smiled to them.
"Glad to see you okay Boss!" Tony gave him a wide smile.
"DiNozzo do me a favor..."
"Whatever you want Boss!"
"Take Ziva home for me would you?"
"Yeah sure, now?"
"Yes now Tony"
"But Gibbs I don't want to go home! I'm fine!" Ziva protested.
"No you're not... You are tired as hell you need the rest. I'm not going anywhere Ziver..."
Ziva hugged him and kissed his cheek. She was indeed tired as hell and in the company of Tony she would rest just fine.
The lovebirds left and everyone in the room had the feeling that those two very soon would be a thing. Gibbs just chuckled at that. Ducky took his diagram from the end of his bed and read it.
"Your fever is almost back to normal Jethro... Your wounds are clean... The only thing off here is your blood pressure. That's a little bit high... But I see that it has fallen..." Ducky said checking the heart monitor next to Gibbs.
"Yeah the doc said that too... He said it was stress and tiredness..."
"Yes of course... That's a very good reason." Ducky agreed.
"So maybe we should let you Gibbs to have some rest too. We can come back later..." McGee said looking at the others.
"I believe Timothy is right. We will come back later Gibbs." Ducky said patting Gibbs' leg. Abby hugged him tight and Tim gave him a nod of his head.
"I'll stay..." Jenny announced.
"Then I'll go home and relieve you later Jennifer." Jack told her. He kissed his son on the forehead and he was out the door with the rest of the team.
Jenny Kidd next to him on the bed and γbibs took her in his arms. He kissed her forehead and she smiled at him.
"I was so damn worried Jeth..."
"Nothing to be worried about now. I promised I would one back safe... I am a man of his word..."
"I know..." Jenny looked at him lovingly and she squeezed his hand.
"So tell me about the baby..."
"I heard its heartbeat Jethro and it was pure magic... I cant describe it with words... its really a miracle...I cant wait for you to hear it..."
"As soon as I'm out of this hellhole that's the first thing I'll do Jen..."
"The guys were right you should rest if you want to get about of this hellhole..."
He smiled a bit but his face became serious a moment later.
"I owe too much to Ziver Jenny... if it wasn't for her I don't know if I could have made it out there..."
"We both owe her too much Jethro...''
"I was thinking to let her be the godmother of the baby... its the least I can do..."
"I was thinking the same thing! And I completely agree... maybe we should let her know..."
"Yep...What happened with Webster Jenny?"he then asked more serious. Jenny told him and from Gibbs' deadly look someone could really tell his intention. He sighed and then closed his eyes and Jenny kissed him sweetly in the cheek whispering in his ear:
"We will get that son of a bitch Jethro... I can guarantee that...I love you Leroy Jethro Gibbs... do you know that?"
"Of course Jen! I love you too..." satisfied with his answer and the kiss that followed it Jenny too closed her eyes and they slept peacefully for the first time in some days,in the arms of one another....