Chap 3

Jenny had finished her work at the office and was driving back to the hospital when Tony called her.
"He's up Jenny."
"I'm on my way. Have you called Jack and Ducky?"
"Yeah. Ducky will pick up Jack and they'll be here in about half an hour. The rest are resting and will come in the afternoon." He said and hung up.
Jenny felt a wide smile forming in her lips. Jethro had made it. That was enough for her.
**************************************
When she arrived at the hospital she saw Tony standing next to Gibbs' bed holding his hand.
"Hey Tony" she said calmly trying not to scare him.
"Jenny" he greeted back.
"What did the doctor say?"
"He was very glad to know that Gibbs woke up. He says that,that is a very good sign but he's  not completely out of the woods yet. He is out for about an hour now. "
"Go home Tony I'm here now"
"I don't want to leave yet but I can wait in the lobby if you want some time with him."he winked her.
"I said go home Agent DiNozzo. That's an order."
"Yes ma'am." He then left knowing Gibbs was in good hands.
Jenny occupied the chair he was previously seated taking Jethro's hand in hers. She knew that Ducky with Jack would arrive soon so she just wanted to sit there and watch him for a little bit.
She remembered their time together in Paris. It was the best time in her life. She had all that she wanted and she just threw it all away for her career. She loved Jethro. She still loves him. But she wasn't sure if he felt the same. He had moved on with his life after her. But still he had shown Jenny his intentions sometimes. His eyes still flickered when he saw her. But she was sure that she had caused him enough pain when she damped him in Paris and she was sure that he would be still mad at her.
Her thoughts were interrupted because Jethro moaned besides her. She then looked at him. His eyes were not longer relaxed but he had a frowned expression in his face. He was clearly having a nightmare.
She just run her hand in his hair and tried to soothe him.
"Shh Jethro...You are safe now.Everything is going to be ok now."
He relaxed after five minutes but she still run her fingers through his hair.
That's how Jack and Ducky found them.
Ducky just coughed not wanting to embarrass the Director.
"Ducky,Mr Gibbs" she acknowledged."Come sit with him I will come by tomorrow again.Has Tony informed you of what the doctor said?" She asked.
"Yes Director. Thank you for staying with him." Jack responded.
"My pleasure Mr Gibbs"
"Please call me Jack"
"Ok then...Jack...See you tomorrow"
Then she left.
**************************************
Gibbs didn't wake again until it was about 13:00.
His head throbbed badly and so did his knee. Every breath he was taking was causing him agonizing pain but he was a Marine and he would never admit it. He opened his eyes carefully because he was sure that the bright light of the day was going to blind him.
When he adjusted to the light he saw his dad sleeping in the chair next to his bed as did Ducky in the other side of the bed.
"Dad" he whispered. His voice was still hoarse but his throat wasn't as dry as before when he took out the ventilator tube. But his voice was loud enough to wake up the older Gibbs and Ducky. Gibbs senior was the first to react.
"Son,you're awake. Welcome back!"
"Yes indeed. Welcome back Jethro."
"It's good to be back" he answered.
"How long have I been out dad? I didn't  have the time to ask DiNozzo before. These are pretty heavy stuff that they are giving me"
"Tow days Leroy. You scared us big time son. For a moment I thought I would lose you." Senior Gibbs said with tears threatening to come off his eyes.
"I will leave you two alone for a bit. I am going to get some tea for me and for you Jack. And no Jethro before you ask, you can't have any coffee."
Gibbs shrugged. He respected the doctor very much and he was aware that Ducky was trying to give them space so that they can express their shelves freely.
Gibbs Senior allowed the tears to fall only when Ducky left the room.
"Hey dad, it's going to be ok! I'm alright now." Gibbs tried to relax him.
"Yeah son. It's gonna be alright now. Just don't do that ever again to your old man."
"Promise.So tell me dad,what happened?"
"Well a junky shot you. When you found him he panicked and started shooting. The bullets hit you in the knee the shoulder and chest. But they said that with some physiotherapy you're gonna be ok. I've arranged for John to keep the shop until you are ok because I'm gonna stay with you until you heal completely."
"Dad..."
"No arguments L.J. It's terminal.You know your lady Director was here earlier. She seemed very worried about you."
"Yeah,Jen." Gibbs chuckled a little bit.
"She said she'll come by tomorrow. She was here to relieve Tony. He was up from the moment you were brought in. The rest of your team were here too. They'll come by some time in the afternoon.They really care about you son."
"I know dad. I care a lot about them too. They are family."
"Why don't you rest a little bit so that you can be awake when they come by in the afternoon?"
"That's my plan." Gibbs mumbled as he closed his eyes and drifted to sleep once again.
**************************************
"McGee wake up!!! It's five o'clock in the afternoon. We have to leave NOW! Gibbs is in the hospital and we haven't been there to see him since yesterday...and he is awake...he will think that we don't care...and he won't bring me Caf-POWs again and I don't know what I'll do if Gibbs leaves me and..."
"Abby calm down.Gibbs could never hold a grudge against you. He knows you care. Just go get ready and we'll leave for the hospital."
"Yeah that's what I'm gonna do..."
When they got ready they drove to the hospital.Ziva was in Tony's place and they said they were on their way to the hospital themselves.
When they arrived Tim parked and Abby just ran to Gibbs' room. Tony and Ziva pulled over right next to Tim's car and the three of them made their way to Gibbs' room too.
**************************************
"Gibbs!!!!!!" Abby squealed. She run and hugged him so tight that he thought that he would pass out.
"Abs...can't breathe..."
"Oh Gibbs...I'm so sorry...I didn't want to hurt you...and I'm sorry for not visiting earlier. You know I just went home for a little nap and...and the next thing I know is that I wake up at five...you must hate me..."
"Hey Abs...Calm down...You don't need to worry. I'm glad you are here now..."
"We are going to have lunch if you'll excuse us..." Ducky interrupted and with Gibbs senior they departed from the room.
"Aw Gibbs I was so worried...I thought we would lose you..."
"Well apparently the Boss doesn't give up so easily..." Tony interrupted.
"DiNozzo,Ziva,McGee" Gibbs acknowledged.
"Hey Boss" McGee greeted. "Glad you're ok."
"So what did you do with that dirt bag that attacked me?"
The team just sat around Gibbs and the narrated what happened after he went down everyone talking and trying to impress him with their bravery as a kid would do with his dad. Everyone except Ziva. She hadn't talked at all. She didn't even greet him. She just sat there looking at the floor.
When they were finished and Ducky and Jack were back, the team stood up to leave. They said goodbye and were walking out the door when Gibbs called out for Ziva.
"Ziva!I want to talk with you" he had said."Dad,Ducky go home,get some rest. Ziva will be here."
"You know Gibbs I have to..."she started but Gibbs interrupted her.
"You have to talk with me."
She just sat in the chair next to his bed not saying anything.
"Well then LJ I'll see you tomorrow." Jack said and tapped his son's good shoulder. Ducky waved goodbye as well and they left for Gibbs' house.
Ziva just sat there staring at the floor.
"Ziva talk to me..." he said. But his attempt was fruitless.
"Ziver..." he tried again."Hey, look at me..." he said his tone soft.
Then brown eyes filled with tears locked with his own blue ones.
"Come here" he patted his bed and moved aside for her to come and sit with him.
She buried her head to his shoulder and he just hugged her and patted gently her head as he let her cry.About five minutes had passed when she finally had no more tears left to cry and she just lifted her head to look at him.
"Gibbs...I...I'm sorry..." she whispered.
"You have nothing to be sorry for. You hear me Ziver?" She just nodded her head.
"Now tell me what's bugging you?"
"It's nothing really..."
"Yeah the kind of nothing that made you cry for five minutes...Talk to me." He said a bit more sternly now. He knew that the Israeli tended to bottle her emotions up and he didn't want her to torture herself. Ziva and Abby were the daughters of his little family and he knew that she was neglected by her father and that she saw a father figure in him. He too was very fond of her even if he didn't show it all the time.
"It was that...It reminded me of the explosion last year...You just were lying in this bed Gibbs. Sleeping again...And this time it was worst. I thought that you weren't going to wake up...I would lose my father and I wasn't ready... Not again...not so soon." She started sobbing again and he just hugged her.
Gibbs was a man of few words and right now it seemed to him that the best idea was to just shut up.
When Ziva relaxed he just looked at her and said:
"I am not going anywhere Ziva... Not anytime soon..."
"Yeah but how do I know that? You...You gave up in this damn house Gibbs! You said to Tony to take care of us and then...then you just shut your eyes and...and you gave up!"
"Ziva..."
"No don't even try and explain yourself. You don't have the right to give up on us. Think of the weight that fell on Tony's shoulders when you said that. Think of how Abby would react if she learned you were dead. Think how Tim would resign because he could never get past your death. How Ducky would be devastated and your dad...How about your dad Gibbs? At least you care about him. How would your dad feel Gibbs?"
"Ziva...Stop...Please..." he tried again. What she was saying hurt him more than his physical wounds.
"Jenny? Have you thought of Jenny? She still loves you. You know that? Yeah she does. And me? What about me? Who would have been there for me if you were gone? Who would have my six Gibbs? Who would be my father if you left?"
"Ziva! Stop it damn it!" He said as he reached and grabbed her wrist. "Stop it will ya?" His eyes were stinging in his effort not to let any tears drop.
"I gave up because I'm a shellfish bastard. I thought that maybe giving up was the best choice. I was wrong. I didn't think that I had something to look up to. After Shanon and Kelly I just had nothing in life... I know now that I was wrong... I have you. All of you. Our little defective family. And I am glad that you want an old bastard to be in it. Thank you." His little speech was sincere and he could see that Ziva had understood.
"I'm sorry"was all she managed.
"Never apologize is a sign of weakness." He answered.
"Go to sleep Gibbs." She ordered but she was smiling.
Gibbs closed his eyes and for the first time since he was in the hospital he had a peaceful sleep.