Chap8

Three weeks after Gibbs' birthday he left Stillwater and his father to return to D.C. He had visited his doctor two more times and had taken the all-clear to return to light desk duty for two weeks and two weeks later he could go back in the game something that made him very happy because he wasn't expecting it. Jenny had arranged his physical which he had passed with flying colors. But he was aware that with the passing of time his knee might present a variety of problems.
Currently Gibbs was sitting in his desk finishing up some paperwork after a hard case and after his first week of field work and was waiting Jenny to finish her work too. The most of the week they were sleeping together and they had made it a habit to leave work together.
As he was putting his glasses away he saw Jenny come down the stairs.
"Ready to go Jethro?" She asked him
"Just finished Jen.Finally..."
"Yeah. I know. Just try and don't push yourself to hard ok?"
"We'll see about that at home..." he said smirking. They got hand in hand and walked to the elevator.
Once in Gibbs' car, Jenny sat inside putting her seatbelt on and leaning back closing her eyes. Jethro got the engine running and then took off. He sat silent in the whole way not wanting to disturb Jenny who was now sleeping soundly in the co-driver's sit knowing how tired she was.
When they arrived he took her seatbelt off and got her in his arms to carry her to the house. He didn't want to wake her or disturb her. Jenny was a heavy sleeper anyway and she wouldn't remember being carried in the house. She didn't even move until he reached his door and that was when Jenny woke up confused.She hadn't slept heavily then Gibbs thought.
"Jethro what the hell are you doing?"
"I'm getting you home Jen"
"Put me down NOW! The doctor said no big weights for at least a month! Do you want to have a relapse?" She clearly was furious...
"Ok, ok... It was just a ten steps distance... Don't be mad..." he said putting her down.
"I'm going to bed..." she announced and strode upstairs clearly angry at him.
Gibbs closed the door behind him and went to the basement. He put a glass of bourbon and sat there for half an hour until he decided that it was time for bed. He knew that he shouldn't annoy Jenny any further that's why he had left her for half an hour alone.
When he moved upstairs to his bedroom he saw that Jenny was asleep in her work clothes. He lay carefully down not wanting to disturb her and in five minutes he was asleep too.
****************************************
The next morning Gibbs woke up from his aching knee. It still hurt on rainy days, like this one, or generally in a weather change.But the extra weight of Jenny last night had surely affected his condition.She was right again. He should had waken her.It was 5:30. The alarm clock would go on at 6:00 so he decided not to wake Jenny but to go and make some breakfast and maybe that's would help forget the pain in his knee. He got up from the bed carefully, not wanting to disturb Jenny and went down the stairs. He walked to the coffee machine to make fresh coffee and then he put some eggs on the pan and some bacon. By the time breakfast was ready, it was 6:00 and Gibbs heard the alarm clock take off.He waited patiently for her to wash up and come down with his leg stretched on a chair and with an ice pack on.
When she arrived at the kitchen and saw him she had the "I told you look" on her face.
"Morning Jen..." he greeted "Sit down I'll make you a plate."
"Oh for goodness shake Jethro! Your knee is hurting. Why don't you just stay sited? Did you have to make breakfast if your knee was aching?"
"Jen please...I don't wanna fight... And to answer your question I just thought that it might take my mind off the pain."
"What am I going to do with you?" She asked more like rhetorically...
"Maybe serve me some breakfast and a cup of coffee?" He laughed it off.
After breakfast was served and eaten and they got ready and went to the Navyward.
***************************************
As always Gibbs was the first to arrive and was searching something at the drawers next to Tony's desk when Ziva Tim and Tony got there too.
"Morning Boss!"
"Good Morning Gibbs" they greeted.
"Morning" was all he offered. Tony then approached him with a white envelope.
"The guys on the gate said to give you this. A guy delivered it. Doesn't have an address just your name on it."
Gibbs took it and opened it. It was a plain white envelope. Gibbs gut kicked in and he rushed to open it.