Chapter Thirty-Five - Jasper

Start from the beginning

I smiled, kissing her on the cheek. "It's fine, Luce - we've just both been really busy." It was only half a lie; I'd actively avoided Ross sometimes, and I got the feeling he'd done the same. "Anyway, it'll be nice to see him! We've both done some growing up."

"I know you have," Jenny asked, eyeing me. "You look...well, you're mature now. It's so strange."

"Charming," I commented.

Jenny rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean. You used to be our boy wonder. Now you're a man wonder."

"A good man wonder," Lucie added, and then we all heard the door open. I looked over to see Tom walking in followed by Edward and Harper, who looked over and brightened when they saw me. "Found them outside," Tom grinned at his mothers, greeting them with hugs and kisses.

"Twinkie!" Edward beamed, enveloping me in a hug. "I missed you! You're the only one that can do my eyeliner wings right."

"Nice to see you too," I grinned. "How come you're not in your party gear today?"

"He lost his black strapless dress and threw a fit," Harper teased, and pulled me in for a hug. "I missed you, Jasper. How are you?"

"I'm good, and I missed you too," I kissed him happily and felt, not for the first time, intensely grateful that he was here with us today. "Sorry to hear about your dress though, Ed."

Harper rolled his eyes, ignoring Edward's indignant expression. "I was sympathetic for about two streets of complaining."

"He's cruel," Edward sniffed, and then laughed brightly. "Oh darling, it's so good to see you again. You go away for too long."

"Well, I'm back permanently," I laughed. "Until I get a full-time job, that is. But y'know, we'll see what happens. I've got some wedding photography to tide me over."

Edward smiled and nodded, and then dashed forwards saying, "Oh come and give me a hug, before I get all weepy!"

I laughed, letting myself get caught up in Edward's arms. He twirled me around before handing me over to Tom who kissed me on each cheek lightly. I raised my eyebrows at him as he stepped away. "And where's my real greeting?"

"It feels odd after not seeing you for three months," Tom teased me, but then brushed my hair out of my face so he could kiss me on the lips properly. It felt like I was coming home again.

"Not brought any hot men from your university?" Edward asked, grumpily looking around. "The one thing I was looking forward to!"

"Not looking forward to seeing me?" I asked, pretending to be shocked. "What a cruel man you are, Edward."

"Kidding," Edward winked. "Seriously, though - you didn't bring Alex?"

I tried not to laugh at his face. "No, Alex and I didn't make it through finals, the stress got to us both. Plus, he's gone back to Newcastle, it's a bit of a hike. Didn't seem worth it."

"That's a shame," Harper looked at me sympathetically. "He seemed really nice."

"He was really nice," I shrugged. "Just... I don't know, we had fun, but it wasn't really anything serious anyway. It's been nice having a break from all that, anyway."

"After Ross I'm surprised anyone...measures up," Edward winked again, and I pushed him slightly.

"Charming," I grinned, and then flicked him on the nose. "It's not all about sex, you know. There are other things to a relationship than sex."

"Did I hear my favourite word?"

I looked over at the door when I heard the familiar voice. Ross was hanging up his coat, and I flinched as I saw him turn around. During the three years that I'd barely seen him, he had seemingly not aged a day. If anything he'd become even more attractive. Maybe it was just the black jumper he was wearing that seemed to cling to his body. Maybe it was that fact that he'd got his hair cut shorter and it looked amazing. Maybe it was because I hadn't seen him for so long. I'd forgotten just how beautiful he really was.