Chapter 6

It had been almost two weeks since the battle, and Marshall's popularity among Detroit had already begun to grow. He was no longer remembered as the loser who had choked on stage, or the chump who had gotten jumped by the free world. He was being remembered as someone who has proved everyone wrong. You and Marshall had grown even closer during the two weeks. Everytime something big had come up, you would be the first person he'd tell.

Even though he'd never admit it, not sober at least, you could tell he genuinely enjoyed your company.

And the feeling was mutual.

You shrugged off a classmate who had snapped you out of your thoughts.

"What?" You asked your friend Denaya.

"I said, what're you so smiley about?"

You felt your face flame as you cleared your throat.

"Oh nothing. I was just remembering a joke my mom told me."

"Well that can't be true. Your mom is the corniest person I have ever met."

You slapped her arm playfully and rolled your eyes. You tugged on the sleeve of your blue collared uniform and glanced at the clock. You had always hated the God awful clothes your school forced the girls to wear. You had tried to alter it by making the skirt a little shorter or the shirt a little less loose.

However every attempt had sent you to the office with a detention for dressing too "provacitevly".

"There's this boy.." you finally admitted. You watched as her eyes lit up.

"No way. No freaking way. Who? Is it Alex?" She asked. You rolled your eyes and shook your head.

"Alex was just a phase I much rather forget." You said. You couldn't for the life of you figure out why you had ever liked someone like him. "His name is Marshall."

You made sure to whisper the last part. Though you were sure at this point that he wouldn't hurt you, especially over something as trivial as his real name. She pulled a face at the unfamiliar name.

"Does he go here?" She asked, genuienly confused.

Denaya knew everyone and everyone knew her.

"Um, no he doesn't actually. He's not in high school."

"Oh so an older guy?" Denaya asked while raising her eyebrow.

Something like that, you thought. Instead you smiled shyly and nodded. She looked like she was about to say something else when she glared behind you angrily.

"What do you want?" She asked. You turned around and felt your stomach drop as you realized you were facing Clarence.

"To talk." He said coolly.

"Speak." She said, as words evaded your mouth.

"To her. Alone." he said.

"There is no way in hell I'm-" she started.

"It's okay D. I can handle it." You told her. She glanced at Clarence wearily before sighing and looking at you.

"If he gives you any trouble, text me." She said. She sent one last glare towards Clarence.

Once she was out of sight, he kicked off the wall and walked towards you. You forced yourself not to fidget as you stared him down.

"I know what you guys did." He said calmly.

You felt your blood run cold.

"What are you talking about Clarence." You couldn't help but clutch your backpack tighter in anxiousness. You silently hoped that he hadn't pick up on your nervous tendencies.