A Million Reasons Why

Comincia dall'inizio

I agree with Jodie. "And more to the point, how did Mystery Guy even know what we called ourselves? We didn't say it on the camera, did we?"

"Nope," Jodie says.

We all shivered slightly. Are we being bugged? 

"We might have said it on another video, though, "Nell suggests brightly, keen to find an alternative tot he bugging theory. " "I'm sure I did it at least once. I might have said that name, because it was the stupidest. Why'd you pick it, Rose?" 

Rose blushes.

"It's a literary device. A trope." She catches us staring at her. "A. . . thing, I promise you. Look it up on Wikipedia. It's a name they give to all those girls in books and films who don't seem quite real. They're just these kooky creatures who the hero wants to find, or rescue or be life. Jennifer Aniston plays them all the time. We were talking about it in the book club. I just thought it sounded funny." 

"It does," Jodie grumbles, "and now we're stuck with it. Imagine them announcing that at the Grammys." She rolls her eyes.

"We're not going to the Grammys,"  I promise her, laughing.

"We might," She retorts. "A boy in sixth form already asked us to do a gig at his birthday party. Well, half a gig, anyway. And if we carry on at this rate, we could make the Killer Act top 100, you know. Then we could be on TV."

Rose and I shake our heads sadly at her insane optimism. Nell practically chokes on a Starbust. 

"Really, Aren't we way behind everyone?" 

Jodie pouts. "Not way behind. Slightly. We're catching up fast, haven't you noticed?" 

Then I suddenly think of something.

"Which boy?" I ask. 

"Hmm?" Jodie says.

"Which boy in sixth form has asked for us?" 

She checks the details on the page, "Er, someone called George Drury. My mum knows him vaguely. They have a big house the other side of Crakey Hill with an awesome party barn. We'd be performing in there and we'd get £100. Paid money for a gig! £25 each! Are you OK, Sash?" 

George Drury: the boy who had a crush on me last summer. I had a feeling it might be him.

"Fine," I lie.

Was this whole video thing just some trick to get us to play at his party? And if so, why? And what is he going to do next?

"Who else is playing?" asks Rose. She sounds edgy too, picking up on my nerves somehow.

Jodie grins. 

"Call of Duty. George is a friend of theirs. They do first half, we do second." 

All the laughter abruptly disappears from Rose's face. So does the colour. She shakes her head. 

"We can't" 

"Why not?" I ask gently, concerned for her, and confused. I mean, I can think of a million reasons why not. but they only affect me.

She pauses for a while to think, then gives a nervous, high-pitched laugh. 

"This is getting ridiculous. We've never sung live before. They do it all the time." 

"But people like us," Jodie insists. "Mrs Richards has our song AS HER RING-TONE. And we get to go to a George Drury party. They're famous. We'll get a million cool points and everyone will want to friend us. Please Please Please?"

Rose hesitates, looking increasingly panicked. 

"When I joined, you made me promise to keep this band a secret, remember? That was the point." 

"Yeah, but that was before we got million trillion votes," Jodie pleads. "It's different now. You'll be fine. Just think of all the boys who'll want your number."

Rose shudders. "They won't," She whispers in a tiny voice.  

"Oh, they will," Jodie grins. "Trust me." 

I hate to see Rose like this. She's so interesting and fun in private, with us, and so shy in public. She's been like this ever since I've known her. People don't know what they are missing. 

"You'd have us," I promise her. "We'd look after you."

She bites her lip.

"Nell, what do you think?" 

"You do whatever you want, Rose. I don't mind." 

Kind, sweet, unhelpful Nell. I say I am happy to do the gig. I don't want to let anyone know I have a problem with George Drury(because I so do). Rose hesitates some more. It's obvious she doen't want to do it, but she can't face letting us down.

"OK," She says eventually. "Whatever you want." 

"Great!" Jodie says, patting her on the back. I'll let George know."

-------

QQ: What do you think of Rose until now? 

QQ: Do you like how the story is progressing?